The Student Room Group

Am I university material?

This will be long but please bare with me

So I have gotten good grades at school:
GCSE: 9999988888A
A level: A*AA (chemistry, biology, maths)

I have never been good with the stress of school and this manifested negatively in my mental health. I was diagnosed with autism right before I started uni and this explains why I’m not good with social situations. University is very social based though and if I struggle at this I don’t know if I’ll be able to make friends. My autism has left me with anxiety and depression so I panic over everything and my mood changes so fast. This has left me struggling to stay on top of my work at uni and struggling to be social.

However I want to make friends and I want to get a doctorate, but I don’t take tests well, my mind blanks. I dropped out of uni due to bad teaching and will reapply somewhere else onto an MSci. I want to succeed and find my course interesting. I’ve been told I’m smart enough for uni but sometimes I just feel so dumb. My short term memory and part is my working memory isn’t good it’s like having a computer with a huge hard drive but the downloading of data onto this drive is incredibly incredibly slow, and I can run out of time to learn everything as it takes me a lot longer.

Does anyone have any tips as to how I can make uni easier for myself? Am I the right kind of person to go to uni?
Reply 1
Well I'm exactly the same as you. Decent grades and autistic. I go to uni. Yeah it's hard but isn't everything? Make sure you get a dsa assessment so you get an ilsp. Make sure you get extra time in exams and anything else that'll make it easier. There's loads of autistic people at uni, in fact there are a few of lecturers that I suspect of being autistic. There's one autistic person who drinks their milk at a certain time each day in the jcr. No one cares. There's geeky societies you can get involved in too.
You can go to university and you should.
Original post by Plain1
Well I'm exactly the same as you. Decent grades and autistic. I go to uni. Yeah it's hard but isn't everything? Make sure you get a dsa assessment so you get an ilsp. Make sure you get extra time in exams and anything else that'll make it easier. There's loads of autistic people at uni, in fact there are a few of lecturers that I suspect of being autistic. There's one autistic person who drinks their milk at a certain time each day in the jcr. No one cares. There's geeky societies you can get involved in too.
You can go to university and you should.

Thank you :smile:

What is islp?
Reply 3
Original post by Studentystudent!
Thank you :smile:

What is islp?

Inclusive Learning and Support Plan (ILSP)
It lists everything that impacts your learning and can include adjustments you need. You can add to it all the time. You can arrange it with the disability team at uni. There's absolutely no need why you shouldn't have support to help you through uni.
Original post by Plain1
Inclusive Learning and Support Plan (ILSP)
It lists everything that impacts your learning and can include adjustments you need. You can add to it all the time. You can arrange it with the disability team at uni. There's absolutely no need why you shouldn't have support to help you through uni.

Okay thank you. I had something like that but my lecturers and school refused to use it, one reason why I dropped out. They decided if I get extra time then everyone should have extra time, and open book so they can have more time to look up answers whilst I barely finish without looking up answers.
Original post by MalcolmX
you are literally the caricature of the typical tsr'ian

I don’t understand
Reply 6
Okay thank you. I had something like that but my lecturers and school refused to use it, one reason why I dropped out. They decided if I get extra time then everyone should have extra time, and open book so they can have more time to look up answers whilst I barely finish without looking up answers.

That's not fair. That's actually discriminatory. If they don't follow it at uni I just keep hassling the disability department to get it sorted.
Original post by Plain1
That's not fair. That's actually discriminatory. If they don't follow it at uni I just keep hassling the disability department to get it sorted.

The disability department support it
Reply 8
The disability department support it

So then you go to the union.
Original post by Plain1
So then you go to the union.

I’ve already withdrawn. Once no one who has power cared and with many other issues it was not worth it. For a Russell group uni it really was a pile of poop. I was literally told that my view doesn’t matter and if I don’t agree with them giving every all of my special allowances then I’m discriminating against them
Reply 10
I’ve already withdrawn. Once no one who has power cared and with many other issues it was not worth it. For a Russell group uni it really was a pile of poop. I was literally told that my view doesn’t matter and if I don’t agree with them giving every all of my special allowances then I’m discriminating against them

The point of adjustment means that you have the same chance as everyone else. It's to give you equal opportunity, not everyone else.
Sounds like you're well to be out if there. I'd still speak to the NUS about it.
Original post by Plain1
The point of adjustment means that you have the same chance as everyone else. It's to give you equal opportunity, not everyone else.
Sounds like you're well to be out if there. I'd still speak to the NUS about it.

Okay I’ll look into that tomorrow thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending