Explaining dip in grades on Personal Statement?

Watch
877cms
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi all,

I was wondering if it's wise to explain on my PS why my first year grades at college are lower than I would like?

I suffered with mental health issues, and of course covid which affected everyone.

I wonder if it's a good idea to explain the low grade, as my current second year grades are predicted much higher. Or is that a bad idea?

Thanks for any advice..
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That's the kind of thing that should be mentioned on the reference, not the personal statement.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Squeeze it into your reference instead.
877cms
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
That's the kind of thing that should be mentioned on the reference, not the personal statement.
Ok thank you. As I am applying to UCAS through college, I don’t see the reference section. I should perhaps discuss with whoever does the reference i.e. my lecturer?
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 877cms)
Ok thank you. As I am applying to UCAS through college, I don’t see the reference section. I should perhaps discuss with whoever does the reference i.e. my lecturer?
Yeah. Were they aware of your mental health issues?
877cms
Rep:
?
Yeah. Were they aware of your mental health issues?
Yes, and I have medical records. I’m not 100% sure if it helps to mention it at all though?
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 877cms)
Yes, and I have medical records. I’m not 100% sure if it helps to mention it at all though?
Then it's probably something they'd already be planning to mention on the reference. When you said your grades in the first year were lower than you wanted, is this in public exams like AS or GCSEs?
877cms
Rep:
?
Then it's probably something they'd already be planning to mention on the reference. When you said your grades in the first year were lower than you wanted, is this in public exams like AS or GCSEs?
It was year one of college Btech. Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (401)
56.32%
I don't have everything I need (311)
43.68%

Watched Threads