The Student Room Group

Biology active transport help!!

In root-hair cells, nitrate ions are actively transported in from soil. What is the effect of this influx of nitrate ions on the water potential of the root-hair cell? How will this affect osmosis into or out of this cell?

What does this question mean isn't nitrate ions actively transported what does this have to do with osmosis???
Reply 1
Someone help please!!!
Original post by 15mohsinfa
In root-hair cells, nitrate ions are actively transported in from soil. What is the effect of this influx of nitrate ions on the water potential of the root-hair cell? How will this affect osmosis into or out of this cell?

What does this question mean isn't nitrate ions actively transported what does this have to do with osmosis???

So you are correct when you say that the nitrate ions have been actively transported into the cell , this lowers the water potential inside the cell , which means that now there is more solutes than water in the cell , therefore more water will be coming into the cell through osmosis as it travels down the the water potential gradient , I hope this makes sense , sorry if it doesn’t.
Reply 3
Original post by rishikasingh150
So you are correct when you say that the nitrate ions have been actively transported into the cell , this lowers the water potential inside the cell , which means that now there is more solutes than water in the cell , therefore more water will be coming into the cell through osmosis as it travels down the the water potential gradient , I hope this makes sense , sorry if it doesn’t.

It totally does, but like still how does it affect osmosis?
Reply 4
Original post by Willy Power
WhatsApp through +1 216 773 8270 for help. Thanks

Why can't you help here?
Original post by 15mohsinfa
It totally does, but like still how does it affect osmosis?

Ok so the definition of osmosis is when water from high concentrations moves to low water concentration area.
So when the nitrate ions enter the cell , the water concentration in the cell decreases , so due to the definition of osmosis , water from outside of the cell moves into the cell.
I’m really sorry lol I’m not good at explaining.
Ok so the definition of osmosis is when water from high concentrations moves to low water concentration area.
So when the nitrate ions enter the cell , the water concentration in the cell decreases , so due to the definition of osmosis , water from outside of the cell moves into the cell.

The active transport of the nitrate ions indirectly causes more water to enter the cell through osmosis . Does it make sense ?
Reply 7
The active transport of the nitrate ions indirectly causes more water to enter the cell through osmosis . Does it make sense ?

Yes thank you SOO much!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending