Twumwaa01
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I am applying for computing science. What skills do u gain from these.

Caritas - volunteering for charities and helping out around the school

Eco Club
- make presentations, posters and planning tasks

Helping out at open days
Twumwaa01
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.

Caritas award - volunteering for charities and helping out around the school

Eco Club

Helping out at open days
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Why do you need to use these experiences to prove your interest and motivation to study CS?

There’s no non-academic skills that are vital to evidence in a CS PS. It’s an academic degree not a vocational one.
Paolo3100
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Twumwaa01)

Caritas award - volunteering for charities and helping out around the school

Eco Club

Helping out at open days
volunteering gives u teamwork and coordination
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Paolo3100)
volunteering gives u teamwork and coordination
No experience “gives you” skills.

People taking part in activities will already have ability in teamwork and coordination. They’ll then get an opportunity to use and practice those skills.

Admissions staff are well aware of the skills that might be used in various activities (and which if any are useful or vital for their degree). There’s no point wasting space in a PS talking about how and experience “gave you” x skill. That makes you sound like you were lacking in that skill before the experience and now consider yourself “having” that skill with no appetite to develop your skills further. It’s very unappealing.

If you MUST talk about “skills” in a PS then what admissions staff are interested in are details of specific situations where you DEMONSTRATED a skill. HOW did you work in a team? What was your role? How did you work with the other members of the team? Was there any problems within the team or with the work? How did the team overcome those problems? What was your individual contribution to that resolution? What have you learned from the experience? What would you do differently?

THAT is helpful in a PS for a subject that requires teamwork. Anything vague or generic is a waste of space that could be used talking about your degree subject interest and activities.
Twumwaa01
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
No experience “gives you” skills.

People taking part in activities will already have ability in teamwork and coordination. They’ll then get an opportunity to use and practice those skills.

Admissions staff are well aware of the skills that might be used in various activities (and which if any are useful or vital for their degree). There’s no point wasting space in a PS talking about how and experience “gave you” x skill. That makes you sound like you were lacking in that skill before the experience and now consider yourself “having” that skill with no appetite to develop your skills further. It’s very unappealing.

If you MUST talk about “skills” in a PS then what admissions staff are interested in are details of specific situations where you DEMONSTRATED a skill. HOW did you work in a team? What was your role? How did you work with the other members of the team? Was there any problems within the team or with the work? How did the team overcome those problems? What was your individual contribution to that resolution? What have you learned from the experience? What would you do differently?

THAT is helpful in a PS for a subject that requires teamwork. Anything vague or generic is a waste of space that could be used talking about your degree subject interest and activities.
what if i say that it has helped to develop my teamwork skills further or enhanced
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
what if i say that it has helped to develop my teamwork skills further or enhanced
Without details and specifics about what you actually did then it’s just words. You could just as easily write that an experience enhanced your invisibility powers.
Twumwaa01
Rep:
Here’s an example my teacher gave us

I am school captain of the football team. This shows I have good communication and team working skills. This is relevant to Business Studies as being able to communicate effectively is an important at skill when working on group projects.

(Original post by PQ)
Without details and specifics about what you actually did then it’s just words. You could just as easily write that an experience enhanced your invisibility powers.
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Here’s an example my teacher gave us

I am school captain of the football team. This shows I have good communication and team working skills. This is relevant to Business Studies as being able to communicate effectively is an important at skill when working on group projects.
Teachers once again demonstrating that they have no understanding of what admissions staff are interested in seeing in a PS

https://www.tes.com/news/teachers-an...onal-statement
phdmed
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Doing any extracurricular could contribute to your time management skills, because you're balancing these activities with your studies. You could also say organisational skills - especially for planning tasks, like you mentioned. Helping out in the school could be leadership skills. Did your volunteering involve working alone or in teams? Either way, you have good examples. You could speak about working with others/teamwork, but also working independently. You'll need both for any course at university. Communication would be another big one - guessing at open days you would speak to a lot of people?
Twumwaa01
Rep:
(Original post by phdmed)
Doing any extracurricular could contribute to your time management skills, because you're balancing these activities with your studies. You could also say organisational skills - especially for planning tasks, like you mentioned. Helping out in the school could be leadership skills. Did your volunteering involve working alone or in teams? Either way, you have good examples. You could speak about working with others/teamwork, but also working independently. You'll need both for any course at university. Communication would be another big one - guessing at open days you would speak to a lot of people?
thanks
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Caritas - volunteering for charities and helping out around the school

Eco Club

Helping out at open days
It's good to mention these in a PS, but be brief! The majority of your PS should be highlighting your interest for computer science, given it is an academic degree. If you can link them to your interest in computer science, that would be ideal, though I'm not sure this is likely given what you have mentioned
tinygirl96
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It is better to describe your interest in the subject. Focus on that instead. Skills are optional.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.33%
Okay (64)
29.63%
A bit lacking (81)
37.5%
Not good at all (53)
24.54%

Watched Threads