Atiq36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello, I am looking for a computer science degree as a career change. Could someone please shed some lights on the Bsc in Computer Science degree ( AI and Machine Learning) from University of London, Goldsmith. The course modules look very good but will it be difficult to manage with a full time job? How many hours of weekly study requried per module ? I have no programming experience. I have a Bachelor degree in Marine Engineering and have worked as marine engineer for more than ten years. Infact I am a chief engineer board oil tanker ships. I am 36 now and looking to change my career to computer science as I have keen interest and passion for computer. I guess this the time to follow my passion.
PuraVida88
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,
I am currently enrolled in the BSc in Computer Science from UoL, I would say it's manageable with a full time job, and I work on boats too. You can choose to study part-time, so that would be 2 modules per semester. I started with two modules, Introduction to Programming and Discrete Mathematics, but next semester I will try to register for more than 2 modules and see how it goes. Just to give you an idea, Discrete Maths has usually a graded quiz every two weeks (that's during the first half of the module) , so as long as you follow the lectures you'll be ok for the midterm assignment. After midterm, there is no graded quizzes until the final exam. You will still have to do some peer-graded assignments, but those are not counting towards the final grade and are optional.
Introduction to Programming doesn't have graded "quizzes" but you are evaluated through two different types of project. You need to complete all the first parts of the project by the midterm assignment date, so again as long as you stay on track it's all good.
Last edited by PuraVida88; 1 month ago
Fola_AI
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Atiq36)
Hello, I am looking for a computer science degree as a career change. Could someone please shed some lights on the Bsc in Computer Science degree ( AI and Machine Learning) from University of London, Goldsmith. The course modules look very good but will it be difficult to manage with a full time job? How many hours of weekly study requried per module ? I have no programming experience. I have a Bachelor degree in Marine Engineering and have worked as marine engineer for more than ten years. Infact I am a chief engineer board oil tanker ships. I am 36 now and looking to change my career to computer science as I have keen interest and passion for computer. I guess this the time to follow my passion.
Hello there, we seem to be in the same boat.
I graduated from a Nigerian University in 2010 with a second class (lowers division) in Microbiology. I am looking to change my career to Computer Science i.e follow my passion really as I have always had passion for it. Over the years, I have worked in small teams with basic IT knowledge and I have done pretty fine and gotten along just fine.

I applied to a couple of unis (KCL, QMUL, RHUL, City Uni, UWL) with my B.Sc cert with the hope of getting a place to study B.Sc Computer science. I am 32 years now and I am really hoping I get a place. I have basic programming experiences but I actually want to start from scratch i.e go back to the basics hence, reason for applying to a B.Sc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
12.11%
Virtual campus tours/open days (132)
24.22%
Live streaming events (47)
8.62%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.54%
A uni comparison tool (127)
23.3%
An in-person event when available (121)
22.2%