Eloise_q
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Does anyone know what would be good for extra reading to put on my UCAS for child nursing?
14hasm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Okay so I'm not a nursing student but I am in my final year of Bsc Pharmacology.

I think it would be good to put anything that interests you! So you can have a look at journals detailing the formal aspects of child nursing or look at memoirs from other nurses which give an account of the experience in working with children. These are just a few examples... For example, when I was applying to medicine this year, I chose to talk about a book.

However, I am sure you know that your UCAS personal statement is limited to 47 lines and under 4000 characters. Therefore, it's best to just pick out one idea and develop it in order for you to show your passion regarding your degree choice.

One book that seems quite good is:

The Children's Nurse by Susan Macqueen
The Language of Kindness by Christie Watson

I hope this helps somewhat
moosec
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey, student nurse here Look into the values of the NHS Constitution and the 6Cs of Nursing... even if you don’t reference them directly they’re a helpful outline for what to include in your UCAS personal statement and in interviews. Eg) you could think along the lines of ‘right okay, so Nurses need to be compassionate - what have I done in my hobbies/college life/ extra-curricular etc to show that?’

Honestly don’t worry too much about academic texts to read... they don’t expect you to have read a load of relevant texts! Especially for a course like Nursing, they’re looking for passion, enthusiasm and whether you meet the values of Nursing. (Most uni’s use the Values Based Recruitment Framework, especially for interviews - although I’d assume it crosses over into shortlisting from PS’s somewhat too - might be handy to look into so you know what they’re looking out for)

That being said, I would second The Language of Kindness as mentioned above purely because it’s a fantastic read
Eloise_q
Rep:
?
(Original post by 14hasm)
Okay so I'm not a nursing student but I am in my final year of Bsc Pharmacology.

I think it would be good to put anything that interests you! So you can have a look at journals detailing the formal aspects of child nursing or look at memoirs from other nurses which give an account of the experience in working with children. These are just a few examples... For example, when I was applying to medicine this year, I chose to talk about a book.

However, I am sure you know that your UCAS personal statement is limited to 47 lines and under 4000 characters. Therefore, it's best to just pick out one idea and develop it in order for you to show your passion regarding your degree choice.

One book that seems quite good is:

The Children's Nurse by Susan Macqueen
The Language of Kindness by Christie Watson

I hope this helps somewhat
thank you for this it has helped i will look up at the book i have found a few articles
Eloise_q
Rep:
?
(Original post by moosec)
Hey, student nurse here Look into the values of the NHS Constitution and the 6Cs of Nursing... even if you don’t reference them directly they’re a helpful outline for what to include in your UCAS personal statement and in interviews. Eg) you could think along the lines of ‘right okay, so Nurses need to be compassionate - what have I done in my hobbies/college life/ extra-curricular etc to show that?’

Honestly don’t worry too much about academic texts to read... they don’t expect you to have read a load of relevant texts! Especially for a course like Nursing, they’re looking for passion, enthusiasm and whether you meet the values of Nursing. (Most uni’s use the Values Based Recruitment Framework, especially for interviews - although I’d assume it crosses over into shortlisting from PS’s somewhat too - might be handy to look into so you know what they’re looking out for)

That being said, I would second The Language of Kindness as mentioned above purely because it’s a fantastic read
thank you i have been looking at the 6c's
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (52)
18.06%
No one else does (89)
30.9%
I'm embarrassed about my background (31)
10.76%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (97)
33.68%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.08%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.43%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.08%

Watched Threads