Why do 5% want 50% representation

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
This is what I don't get why do they want to be in films and on magazines just as much as white people when they only make up a small percentage of the population. I am part poc myself but I just can't add up these numbers
stereotypeasian
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
where did you get the numbers for the thread title :confused:
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Where has anyone said the BAME community want 50% representation?? They literally just want some, yet the minute an advert appears with an all-black family everyone loses their minds
Cloudiii
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I can’t believe you’re actually asking this question
Anonymous #1
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Where has anyone said the BAME community want 50% representation?? They literally just want some, yet the minute an advert appears with an all-black family everyone loses their minds
lol they're never all black, they usually stick a white dude in there as the husband. It used to be white wife and black husband, but that's not pc enough anymore. It makes me cringe tbh how many mixed/black families are on adverts when it doesn't represent the true make-up of this country. And of course Chinese and other races get side-lined.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
where did you get the numbers for the thread title :confused:
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures....d-wales/latest

Read it and weep. Plus I rounded up the figures, black + mixed black barely makes 5%
bones-mccoy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
lol they're never all black, they usually stick a white dude in there as the husband. It used to be white wife and black husband, but that's not pc enough anymore. It makes me cringe tbh how many mixed/black families are on adverts when it doesn't represent the true make-up of this country. And of course Chinese and other races get side-lined.
The latest Sainsburys Christmas advert features an all-black family, all you have to do is a quick search on Twitter to see how outraged people are. Banging on about how a family like that can't possibly represent them whilst not saying a word about similar adverts featuring a family of carrots :rolleyes: relating more to a literal vegetable than someone from a different race :lol:

(I do agree about other races being sidelined though)
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 year ago
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
This is what I don't get why do they want to be in films and on magazines just as much as white people when they only make up a small percentage of the population. I am part poc myself but I just can't add up these numbers
i want 100% gay representation, sue me
ed98
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I don’t really care but I remember reading in the Times that poc and LGBT people are over represented on British TV.

Reason? I think a company would rather be accused of being over representative than not representative enough.
OCorOOC6337
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Does it really matter?

Also, your stats are... interesting. I'd love to see a link to your source!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Cloudiii)
I can’t believe you’re actually asking this question
Why is that? I should just accept that black people should be seen on tv as much as white even though that makes no sense considering this is 90% white country.
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Why is that? I should just accept that black people should be seen on tv as much as white even though that makes no sense considering this is 90% white country.
You need to show the data that back up your claims or you keep quiet. There is no evidence whatsoever that shows black or BAME people wanting 50% representation or even have 50% representation.

I know this is TSR and you are anonymous but it must be really sad to be on your own with these types of thoughts.

Do better, be better.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
12.73%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.82%
Finding the time to revise (6)
10.91%
Finding the motivation (10)
18.18%
Getting distracted (10)
18.18%
Procrastination (21)
38.18%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads