The Student Room Group

Can you go from a D to an A in chemistry?

Hi
I am a year 13 student and I got a D in my September mocks. I am very upset because of it and i really want to improve.
Please help! :frown:
(I am doing Edexcel A level chemistry )
Original post by AspiringMedic31
Hi
I am a year 13 student and I got a D in my September mocks. I am very upset because of it and i really want to improve.
Please help! :frown:
(I am doing Edexcel A level chemistry )

Yes you can!! I have a friend who got a D in their mocks but got an A in the real exam.. just keep revising and ask for help if you need it
Original post by jessicav4321
Yes you can!! I have a friend who got a D in their mocks but got an A in the real exam.. just keep revising and ask for help if you need it

Wow that's amazing! Do you know what she did? like what did she change her revision strategies or something ?
Thank you :smile:
Wow that's amazing! Do you know what she did? like what did she change her revision strategies or something ?
Thank you :smile:

She used Chemguide to revise, did lots of practice questions, she also watched some Khan Academy videos...
She used Chemguide to revise, did lots of practice questions, she also watched some Khan Academy videos...

In chemistry you tend to find things make more sense in the 2nd year (it did for me and a lot of my friends at least) cause things tend to tie up more.

Tip 1) If you don't understand something after going over it twice, say something!

Tip 2) Go over the basics again. It sucks, it really does but going over it makes life 100000x easier when you get an application question.

Tip 3) CALCULATIONS! If you can make a step by step plan to learn how to do each type of question, and can do it forwards backwards, with all the memorised formulae you are good to go.

Tip 4) Speaking of memorising things, the basic tests for identifying types of compounds are long and seem pointless because you think that they're only worth one mark are actually worth WAY more in the long run.

Tip 5) The stuff you learn at the end of the year is the hardest stuff, just because you're getting close to study leave doesn't mean you can put it off.

Tip 6) Rule of thumb: 'Anything that You Hate, Will be on the Exam'

Tip 7) Your controlled assessment book with all of your practicals in is what you want to go over for paper 3. More specifically, the theory and method of each practical.

Good luck!
In chemistry you tend to find things make more sense in the 2nd year (it did for me and a lot of my friends at least) cause things tend to tie up more.

Tip 1) If you don't understand something after going over it twice, say something!

Tip 2) Go over the basics again. It sucks, it really does but going over it makes life 100000x easier when you get an application question.

Tip 3) CALCULATIONS! If you can make a step by step plan to learn how to do each type of question, and can do it forwards backwards, with all the memorised formulae you are good to go.

Tip 4) Speaking of memorising things, the basic tests for identifying types of compounds are long and seem pointless because you think that they're only worth one mark are actually worth WAY more in the long run.

Tip 5) The stuff you learn at the end of the year is the hardest stuff, just because you're getting close to study leave doesn't mean you can put it off.

Tip 6) Rule of thumb: 'Anything that You Hate, Will be on the Exam'

Tip 7) Your controlled assessment book with all of your practicals in is what you want to go over for paper 3. More specifically, the theory and method of each practical.

Good luck!

This was so helpful thank you so much! :biggrin:
I will let you know if this worked for me.

what did u end up getting

hi its not letting me reply to you by private message but i just wanted to say well done thats rlly good im doing my A levels this year and one of them is chemistry so just nervous
Original post by aaryan_sandhu
hi its not letting me reply to you by private message but i just wanted to say well done thats rlly good im doing my A levels this year and one of them is chemistry so just nervous

Thank you! I'm sure you can and will do better! If you want me to list any resources let me know.
Thank you! I'm sure you can and will do better! If you want me to list any resources let me know.

thank you sm! i actually have my chemistry mock tomorrow and im panicking because its the subject i know the least plus theres so much to know so i just made like a whole revision timetable where i can finish topic 1-14 by the beginning of january. pls list any resources that helped you that would be really helpful
thank you sm! i actually have my chemistry mock tomorrow and im panicking because its the subject i know the least plus theres so much to know so i just made like a whole revision timetable where i can finish topic 1-14 by the beginning of january. pls list any resources that helped you that would be really helpful

Good luck! You're gonna smash it! Are you doing edexcel chemistry?
I used Ma chem guy even though he based it on OCR but he explains concepts really well he starts from the basics and builds up on it that really helped my understanding.
Allery chemistry was helpful too he has good topic summary videos.
Physics and maths tutor is very helpful with exam questions. Don't limit yourself to new spec questions do the old unit papers but refer back to the specification to see if it's still relevant. Study mind is also good for exam questions based on each topic.
There's this book that I bought from amazon but i got it quite late so I wasn't able to finish it. It's called exam insights https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insights-level-Chemistry-Inderpal-Kalsi/dp/1510481192/ref=mp_s_a_1_26?keywords=chemistry+exam+book+a+levels&qid=1669768903&sr=8-26
This was really helpful in terms of exam technique and what the examiner is looking for it has questions on each topic.
Chem guide and chem revise are both great resources and build your understanding. I think understanding chemistry is the biggest hurdle because that will help you apply the knowledge in the exam.
Use the blurting technique where you're writing about a topic on a blank piece of paper from the top of your head I wish I did this more!! At the end of the day you'll only have your mind as your only resource so make sure that you know your topics inside out.
Please learn the practical techniques!!! I feel like I lost the most marks on this in the exam! I remember in the CGP revision guide they had a section dedicated to practical techniques where they tell you about what equipment should be used when don't over look it!
I also used tailored tutors for chemistry. It is expensive so I used it closer to the exam time. It helped clear concepts and strengthened my understanding. They also have a lot of mocks that they've curated and I love their videos that went through them. This also helped my exam technique. Sorry I know this is quite long! But good luck and if you need anything let me know.
wasn’t in chemistry, but jumping up a few grades is 100% possible! i went from a borderline u in november mocks to a c in biology:smile:
omg thanks sm this was so helpful especially the detail u went in i’m definitely going to try and do all this u have no idea how helpful this is and how much i needed this rn
Good luck! You're gonna smash it! Are you doing edexcel chemistry?
I used Ma chem guy even though he based it on OCR but he explains concepts really well he starts from the basics and builds up on it that really helped my understanding.
Allery chemistry was helpful too he has good topic summary videos.
Physics and maths tutor is very helpful with exam questions. Don't limit yourself to new spec questions do the old unit papers but refer back to the specification to see if it's still relevant. Study mind is also good for exam questions based on each topic.
There's this book that I bought from amazon but i got it quite late so I wasn't able to finish it. It's called exam insights https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insights-level-Chemistry-Inderpal-Kalsi/dp/1510481192/ref=mp_s_a_1_26?keywords=chemistry+exam+book+a+levels&qid=1669768903&sr=8-26
This was really helpful in terms of exam technique and what the examiner is looking for it has questions on each topic.
Chem guide and chem revise are both great resources and build your understanding. I think understanding chemistry is the biggest hurdle because that will help you apply the knowledge in the exam.
Use the blurting technique where you're writing about a topic on a blank piece of paper from the top of your head I wish I did this more!! At the end of the day you'll only have your mind as your only resource so make sure that you know your topics inside out.
Please learn the practical techniques!!! I feel like I lost the most marks on this in the exam! I remember in the CGP revision guide they had a section dedicated to practical techniques where they tell you about what equipment should be used when don't over look it!
I also used tailored tutors for chemistry. It is expensive so I used it closer to the exam time. It helped clear concepts and strengthened my understanding. They also have a lot of mocks that they've curated and I love their videos that went through them. This also helped my exam technique. Sorry I know this is quite long! But good luck and if you need anything let me know.

and yes i’m doing edexcel chemistry
and yes im doing edexcel
omg thanks sm this was so helpful especially the detail u went in i’m definitely going to try and do all this u have no idea how helpful this is and how much i needed this rn

Heya!
If you need more free resources then do check out Study Mind for free chem past papers and revision notes all done by topic to support you with your revision :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by okayykayy
wasn’t in chemistry, but jumping up a few grades is 100% possible! i went from a borderline u in november mocks to a c in biology:smile:

That's amazing! Well done

No problem glad I could help. Time management is key so plan your revision out and don't save exam questions till easter! Keep doing exam throughout the year. I feel like edexcel a level chemistry has very limited resources hence the long list!

Quick Reply

Latest