supergirl22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I applied for SFE funding for graduate entry medicine 2020/21 and received a letter saying I am not eligible for funding. I am very panicked now and I have no idea what to do. I didn't know that undertaking a Masters degree that was paid for by a charity (as I cannot afford to fund it myself) in 2017 would impact my eligibility to receive funding for the course I have worked for 8 years to try to achieve. Is there any way around this? I feel discriminated against, I come from a working class family, I have no other options available to me. I had been set on this plan for years and had everything figured out, totally unaware that this would be a problem considering I hadn't ever taken a graduate loan from student finance. What do I do?! Please help
supergirl22
Rep:
?
Hello! Does anyone know how I can find out more about and apply for scholarships?? I just found out I am not eligible for SFE and it's ruined my whole plan
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by supergirl22)
Hello! Does anyone know how I can find out more about and apply for scholarships?? I just found out I am not eligible for SFE and it's ruined my whole plan
GEM or standard undergrad medicine, home or international?

Be warned, if they do exist, it will be super competitive.
supergirl22
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
GEM or standard undergrad medicine, home or international?

Be warned, if they do exist, it will be super competitive.
Graduate entry, home - yes I am concerned about that but I don't know what else I can do if I can't fund myself. Other that join the army.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Graduate entry, home - yes I am concerned about that but I don't know what else I can do if I can't fund myself. Other that join the army.
Please keep your posts in this thread. What's there reason for saying you're not eligible?

Can you work alongside GEM? I know plenty of GEM students who worked (some even full time) throughout their course.

For example: https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergradu...icine-funding/

English Domiciled Students will have to self fund £3,465 of the fees and should apply to Student Finance England for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the remaining £5,535.

You are also eligible to apply for a full income assessed student Maintenance Loan (Max £8430) from Student Finance England.

You will NOT be eligible to receive any Maintenance Grants or any NHS Bursary funding.

You may be eligible for Supplementary Grants such as Parental Learning Allowance (PLA), Adult Dependents Grant (ADG), and Childcare Grant (CCG) and will need to apply for these with your student loan. Again, you should apply to Student Finance England.

You will therefore need to pay £3,465 in the 1st year so must think carefully about how you will fund this.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
supergirl22
Rep:
?
Please keep your posts in this thread. What's there reason for saying you're not eligible?

Can you work alongside GEM? I know plenty of GEM students who worked (some even full time) throughout their course.

For example: https://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergradu...icine-funding/

English Domiciled Students will have to self fund £3,465 of the fees and should apply to Student Finance England for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover the remaining £5,535.

You are also eligible to apply for a full income assessed student Maintenance Loan (Max £8430) from Student Finance England.

You will NOT be eligible to receive any Maintenance Grants or any NHS Bursary funding.

You may be eligible for Supplementary Grants such as Parental Learning Allowance (PLA), Adult Dependents Grant (ADG), and Childcare Grant (CCG) and will need to apply for these with your student loan. Again, you should apply to Student Finance England.

You will therefore need to pay £3,465 in the 1st year so must think carefully about how you will fund this.
I applied for SFE funding for graduate entry medicine 2020/21 and received a letter saying I am not eligible for funding because of undertaking a Masters degree (in 2017). It was paid for by a charity as I cannot afford to fund it myself so I don't think this is a fair decision. I come from a working class family and was relying on student finance, knowing that the option would be available to me when I started this journey.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I applied for SFE funding for graduate entry medicine 2020/21 and received a letter saying I am not eligible for funding because of undertaking a Masters degree (in 2017). It was paid for by a charity as I cannot afford to fund it myself so I don't think this is a fair decision. I come from a working class family and was relying on student finance, knowing that the option would be available to me when I started this journey.
Have you appealed and told them that the Masters was funded by a charity?

I don't think GEM scholarships are a thing, unfortunately.

Is there anyway you can find a job to support yourself?
supergirl22
Rep:
?
Have you appealed and told them that the Masters was funded by a charity?

I don't think GEM scholarships are a thing, unfortunately.

Is there anyway you can find a job to support yourself?
I already have a full time job but I cannot in any way see that I can keep this and undertake a full time course at medical school. I have a nursing background but with the placements etc. I wouldn't see this working without experiencing burnout and an impact on my learning as it's a very full on course...
I am considering appealing to them, I received the letter today so I will be following up.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I already have a full time job but I cannot in any way see that I can keep this and undertake a full time course at medical school. I have a nursing background but with the placements etc. I wouldn't see this working without experiencing burnout and an impact on my learning as it's a very full on course...
I am considering appealing to them, I received the letter today so I will be following up.
Yes, I know what the course is like because I teach them.

There are plenty of nurses on GEM courses who is working alongside their studies - obviously everyone is different so I can understand if you are not prepared to work as well as study.

Please let us know how you get on - also look at things like "hardship fund" and get in touch with the university that you're currently studying in(?).
supergirl22
Rep:
?
Yes, I know what the course is like because I teach them.

There are plenty of nurses on GEM courses who is working alongside their studies - obviously everyone is different so I can understand if you are not prepared to work as well as study.

Please let us know how you get on - also look at things like "hardship fund" and get in touch with the university that you're currently studying in(?).
Do you have any more information on how they manage to juggle work alongside study? Because I was planning on working to support my living and travel costs etc. however funding the fees on top of all this would mean basically working full time. I was under the impression that I would be in uni or placements every weekday (even sometimes weekends) and didn't think it would be possible to maintain a job on top of this. Is it different to how I am envisioning it?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you have any more information on how they manage to juggle work alongside study?
When you said "I applied for SFE funding for graduate entry medicine 2020/21", have you started the course?

Pre-clinical, it really isn't very hard to juggle work with studying - especially during the weekends.

There's absolutely no need to work every weekend, but lectures aren't exactly 24/7 - they take place during working hours, and potentially one working day per week you may even have off.

If you're doing standard undergrad med, things are even easier (in my opinion, buit may not apply to Oxbridge) - half day lectures are the norm and there are definitely no mandatory weekend lectures. One day off per week is also not uncommon.

Because I was planning on working to support my living and travel costs etc. however funding the fees on top of all this would mean basically working full time.
Are you going to be living at home or accommodation?

I was under the impression that I would be in uni or placements every weekday (even sometimes weekends) and didn't think it would be possible to maintain a job on top of this. Is it different to how I am envisioning it?
That's really only during the clinical phase. With planning and being super-organised, you would know where and when you'd be a few weeks in advance. If your charge nurse is amenable, they may be able to schedule the off duty around you.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
supergirl22
Rep:
?
I haven't started the course, I'm waiting to hear back - maybe getting ahead of myself here but I like to be well prepared! By 'home' I assume you mean with parents? I unfortunately do not have the option, I have supported myself for the past 6 years and have rent, bills etc. to pay for. That's reassuring to hear, during my nursing degree it was not very organised so it was not possible to know when you would be free to work apart from most weekends which left me working 7 days a week (5 full time at placement and 2 days part time).

When you said "I applied for SFE funding for graduate entry medicine 2020/21", have you started the course?

Pre-clinical, it really isn't very hard to juggle work with studying - especially during the weekends.

There's absolutely no need to work every weekend, but lectures aren't exactly 24/7 - they take place during working hours, and potentially one working day per week you may even have off.

If you're doing standard undergrad med, things are even easier (in my opinion, buit may not apply to Oxbridge) - half day lectures are the norm and there are definitely no mandatory weekend lectures. One day off per week is also not uncommon.

Are you going to be living at home or accommodation?

That's really only during the clinical phase. With planning and being super-organised, you would know where and when you'd be a few weeks in advance. If your charge nurse is amenable, they may be able to schedule the off duty around you.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I haven't started the course, I'm waiting to hear back - maybe getting ahead of myself here but I like to be well prepared!
Oh OK, so you'll be looking to start in 2021/22?

By 'home' I assume you mean with parents?
Nope, I meant whether it's your own home in your base city; or moving to halls / renting with other people.

I only asked because I though you have already started - e.g. if your "home" (i.e. where you're based, not parents) is Newcastle and you happened to study at Newcastle or Sunderland than obviously it'll be cheaper!

I unfortunately do not have the option, I have supported myself for the past 6 years and have rent, bills etc. to pay for.
Sure.

That's reassuring to hear, during my nursing degree it was not very organised so it was not possible to know when you would be free to work apart from most weekends which left me working 7 days a week (5 full time at placement and 2 days part time).
Med school is similar (depending on where you study, I suppose) because in the clinical phase you'd have 7 or 8 weekly placements which will not just be based in your uni city but further afield e.g. as far as Teesside for Newcastle Uni; and potentially Boston (not the nice one in the USA!) for Nottingham students. So it would be hard to work then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (75)
17.81%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
28.74%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (160)
38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.35%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise