Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Right... It was incredibly stupid but I breached COVID regulations (not by much, but still breached them) and long story short, I've been referred to formal fitness to practice.

I'm freaking out and honestly regret it so much but what's done is done and I realise that I need to accept the consequences of my actions.

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare or any insights on what could happen if you've had a similar experience? Thanks
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
What did you do?

That seems mad for them to refer you to Fitness to Practice for that, to be honest. Doctors regularly ignore social distancing rules in the workplace. I know loads of doctors/nurses who have breached lockdown regulations.

In terms of advice, I would advise making sure you are apologetic, emphasise you understand that you were wrong, reflect on why your behaviour was wrong etc.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Right... It was incredibly stupid but I breached COVID regulations (not by much, but still breached them) and long story short, I've been referred to formal fitness to practice.

I'm freaking out and honestly regret it so much but what's done is done and I realise that I need to accept the consequences of my actions.

Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare or any insights on what could happen if you've had a similar experience? Thanks
People are breaking regulations daily, I mean walk into any tea room during lunch and there is not adequate social distancing. I’m not sure what you could have don’t to warrant a GMC referral.

Reflect on whatever happened, why it was wrong, what you have learned from it, what you would do differently in future etc
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There’s a difference between using a computer next to someone on a busy medical ward to going to a rave with 200 other people.

Come on OP, what did you do?
Anonymous #1
It's not a GMC referral, it's at the medical school level, but basically, I had 4 people over that weren't my housemates and someone made a formal complaint to the school.
I was considering writing a reflective statement and giving it to FTP, as well as reaching out to the MDU?
Anonymous #1
The complaint was made from social media which made the situation worse imo
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
It's not a GMC referral, it's at the medical school level, but basically, I had 4 people over that weren't my housemates and someone made a formal complaint to the school.
I was considering writing a reflective statement and giving it to FTP, as well as reaching out to the MDU?
Jesus Christ, imagine how utterly pathetic you'd have to be to report someone for that.

Seek advice from MDU, maybe students union if they offer support? Basically seek any support available. Very important that you are apologetic, accept you were wrong, and reflect on your behaviour and how it won't happen again etc.

But seriously, doctors break the rules every day. I hope nothing happens to you. Good luck.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Unlucky, a medschool is probably more likely to come down hard on you than the GMC would be, especially given the current uni student covid situation.

I wouldn’t speak to the MDU at this stage but be ready to do some grovelling and reflection.
Anonymous #1
Alright, thank you for the advice everyone!
Lionheartat20
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you live by yourself?
If so: those 4 people - if they are themselves from a single household - can be your support bubble. Providing they haven't already formed a support bubble. But you don't need to declare your support bubble in advance unless asked

If this isn't going to stand, don't go down that route as being found out at a later date is worse than just grovelling at this point. I just feel it's important to point out that 4 other people in your house *may* be allowed; the rules are so confusing and so it's worth reminding people. Eg if they are your best friends and you live alone, it's entirely reasonable they are your support bubble.

Meanwhile somebody must really have a grudge against you to have reported it.
Last edited by Lionheartat20; 1 month ago
chloemo14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Etomidate)
Unlucky, a medschool is probably more likely to come down hard on you than the GMC would be, especially given the current uni student covid situation.

I wouldn’t speak to the MDU at this stage but be ready to do some grovelling and reflection.
I would speak to the MDU at this point - if it does get escalated (although hopefully it won't!) often the defence unions have a policy about not getting involved if they weren't informed from the beginning. I think because people often handle things sub-optimally alone, which means a bigger (/more expensive) mess for them to clear up. Doubt they will do much except probably the advice to do the above grovelling and reflection, but not likely to do any harm.
Hudl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

You made a mistake, which I genuinely hope you reflect on and understand why that was the wrong thing to do especially as a future doctor. The truth of the matter is as doctors we are in a position of trust and therefore we are expected to act a certain way. So where this wouldn't have been as big of a deal for others, because you're a medical student its a bigger deal.

However, what is done is done. I would recommend contacting the MDU/MPS whatever your defence union is for some advice on this matter. Hopefully, they can come with you to the meeting as well. Definitely don't do this alone because you can be taken advantage off. You need someone on your side that can support you and look out for your interest!

What was mentioned about a "support bubble" is a good one and one you should consider. If you lived alone or with <6 people and the people you invited round are part of your support bubble of 6 or whatever the legal limit is. You can justify their presence by acknowledging they were part of your support bubble. You should read around this for further information...
Last edited by Hudl; 1 month ago
Anonymous #4
Report 4 days ago
Hi OP I know it’s been a month however I am just wondering what happened in the end to your meeting about the fitness to practice programme??
Were u sanctioned of any sort or were u Warned or fined??

Please reply ASAP
I would appreciate it greatly
Am in a similar ordeal
Anonymous #4
Report 4 days ago

Hi OP what ended up happening at the fitness to practice meeting??
Did they sanction you at all

Please reply to me ASAP
Would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (18)
13.74%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (31)
23.66%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (58)
44.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
15.27%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.05%

Watched Threads