petrodollars
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, Student Room.

I've got a question that I'd really appreciate an answer to.

Long story long, I was offered a place to study medicine in 2018 but missed by A-Level offer (predicted at AAAA and attained BCCC) so went into biomed instead, subsequently dropping out after finding out it wasn't for me.

My parents pressured me to follow a medical career which led to this conundrum; I've always wanted to study computer science and I feel like now's the time to pursue it, even if I am somewhat late now being 23 and all.

I know there are places like Anglia Ruskin that will accept me with BCCC but I'm wondering if I'm better off waiting until clearing opens up to get into a higher ranking university.

Has anyone here got into computer science through clearing and what are the grades you got in with/at which universities? Any information or advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!

Grades as follows (A2):
Biology - B
Chemistry - C
Mathematics - C
General Studies - C
Last edited by petrodollars; 1 month ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by petrodollars)
Hello, Student Room.

Long story long, I was offered a place to study medicine in 2018 but missed by A-Level offer (predicted at AAAA and attained BCCC) so went into biomed instead, subsequently dropping out after finding out it wasn't for me.

My parents pressured me to follow a medical career which led to this conundrum; I've always wanted to study computer science and I feel like now's the time to pursue it, even if I am somewhat late now being 23 and all.

I know there are places like Anglia Ruskin that will accept me with BCCC but I'm wondering if I'm better off waiting until clearing opens up to get into a higher ranking university.

Has anyone here got into computer science through clearing and what are the grades you got in with/at which universities? Any information or advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!

Grades as follows (A2):
Biology - B
Chemistry - C
Mathematics - C
General Studies - C
Firstly most universities wont accept General Studies so you basically have BCC including C in Maths.

Most leading universities will want AAA or higher for Computer Science including A at least in Maths so your chances are very low. However universities sometimes accept lower grades from mature students but usually want some evidence of study in the previous years. Your best option would be to contact universities looking at AAB or ABB and ask for their advice. Due to the fact you are a mature student I dont think anyone can help you here and you might be better off speaking to the individual universities.
petrodollars
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Firstly most universities wont accept General Studies so you basically have BCC including C in Maths.

Most leading universities will want AAA or higher for Computer Science including A at least in Maths so your chances are very low. However universities sometimes accept lower grades from mature students but usually want some evidence of study in the previous years. Your best option would be to contact universities looking at AAB or ABB and ask for their advice. Due to the fact you are a mature student I dont think anyone can help you here and you might be better off speaking to the individual universities.
I'll definitely start emailing universities then.

Do you know how much these universities drop their grade requirements during clearing? I got onto an AAA biomed course with my BCC through clearing, mind.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll definitely start emailing universities then.

Do you know how much these universities drop their grade requirements during clearing? I got onto an AAA biomed course with my BCC through clearing, mind.
It varies between universities. Top ones wont be in clearing and some wont drop at all whilst others may accept a drop of a couple of grades. I doubt many top universities will accept more than a 2 grade drop in clearing whilst ones lower down might. I list below what a number of universities were accepting for Law in 2019. It is a different subject and year so things might be different but it is a guide. There is also a problem with the period you have been out of education so universities might want you to take an access so only they can tell you. I know of someone who get offers for Geography from ABB universities this year with BCD from last year.

Bristol not in Clearing for home students (Adjustment at A*AA with no LNAT)
Nottingham had a handful of places in "early clearing" at AAA or equivalent (plus LNAT) but by 10am on A level results day, it was International only
Birmingham AAA but places filled by 10am on A level results day
QMUL LLB vacancies at AAA
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Newcastle LLB ABB
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB (reportedly accepted BBC)
Cardiff .....ABB (reportedly lower) vacancies not published until A level results
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB/BBC
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving around BBB/BBC
SOAS BBB/BBC
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield Hallam BBC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
UEA, RHUL, Swansea, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
Oxford Brookes LLB 96 UCAS points
petrodollars
Rep:
?
It varies between universities. Top ones wont be in clearing and some wont drop at all whilst others may accept a drop of a couple of grades. I doubt many top universities will accept more than a 2 grade drop in clearing whilst ones lower down might. I list below what a number of universities were accepting for Law in 2019. It is a different subject and year so things might be different but it is a guide. There is also a problem with the period you have been out of education so universities might want you to take an access so only they can tell you. I know of someone who get offers for Geography from ABB universities this year with BCD from last year.

Bristol not in Clearing for home students (Adjustment at A*AA with no LNAT)
Nottingham had a handful of places in "early clearing" at AAA or equivalent (plus LNAT) but by 10am on A level results day, it was International only
Birmingham AAA but places filled by 10am on A level results day
QMUL LLB vacancies at AAA
Sheffield LLB vacancies at AAA/AAB
Newcastle LLB ABB
Southampton LLB vacancies ABB (reportedly accepted BBC)
Cardiff .....ABB (reportedly lower) vacancies not published until A level results
Exeter vacancies for LLB at BBB (or BCC with Business) at Penryn
(those who missed their offer by even one grade got revised offer at Penryn)
Lancaster LLB vacancies BBB/BBC
Queens Uni Belfast LLB ABC/BBB
Leicester uni LLB vacancies BBB, reportedly accepted ABD
Liverpool LLB only in early Clearing for those achieving around BBB/BBC
SOAS BBB/BBC
Surrey LLB vacancies at BBB/BBC
Sussex LLB vacancies at BBC
Kent LLB vacancies at BBC
Keele LLB vacancies at BBC
Sheffield Hallam BBC
Aston LLB Law & Management BBC
City Uni LLB BBC/BCC
Reading reportedly went down to BCD
UEA, RHUL, Swansea, Hull LLB vacancies (grades not known)
Oxford Brookes LLB 96 UCAS points
Thank you, this is eye-opening

Do you think 2019 being a COVID no-exams year made the requirements higher?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you, this is eye-opening

Do you think 2019 being a COVID no-exams year made the requirements higher?
No that was the year before covid. Nobody knows what the position will be this year. Your position as a mature student is very different so you need to contact the universities as only they can advise you. I suspect there are lots of universities who will make you an offer but might insist on evidence of recent study due to the time that you have been out of education but only they can tell you that. There are some decent places there that were accepting BCC and I suspect many will for Computer Science.
petrodollars
Rep:
?
No that was the year before covid. Nobody knows what the position will be this year. Your position as a mature student is very different so you need to contact the universities as only they can advise you. I suspect there are lots of universities who will make you an offer but might insist on evidence of recent study due to the time that you have been out of education but only they can tell you that. There are some decent places there that were accepting BCC and I suspect many will for Computer Science.
Thanks for your advice, man. I'm going to start sending emails out.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, Student Room.

Thanks!

Grades as follows (A2):
Biology - B
Chemistry - C
Mathematics - C
General Studies - C
Hi petrodollars

Its great that you are considering studying Computer science.

Here at Hull, our entry requirements for our BSc Computer Science course are BBC. Our MEng Computer Science course has entry requirements of BBB if you are interested in studying an integrated master. Details about our Computer Science courses can be found on our website - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergr...1&var=standard

Six reasons to study Computer Science at Hull:
92% graduate employability rating
Spend a year in industry as part of your degree
Gigabit networking and AR, VR and MR facilities
Links to Microsoft, Sony and EA
Fast-track to chartered IT professional
One of the top 5 UK universities for research impact (REF 2014)

If you'd like to know more about our course, we have our student ambassador Tom who is a current computer science student available to chat to - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student

If you'd like to find out more about the course we also have Virtual open days coming up - https://www.hull.ac.uk/choose-hull/s...t-us/open-days

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
Sheffield Hallam University
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello, Student Room.

Thanks!

Grades as follows (A2):
Biology - B
Chemistry - C
Mathematics - C
General Studies - C
Hey petrodollars,

We offer a computer science course with entry requirements of BBC but as it has been said above our entry requirements through clearing sometimes drop. If you want to find out more about the course I suggest joining our final virtual open day on Wednesday 9th December with live chat with academics and current students 5-7pm and in-depth video course talks with course leaders on the subject area page. You can register here.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the course or studying at Hallam.

- Ella
AndyChow
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Consider CS is such a hot subject the best you can hope for is a BBB uni through clearing which is very risky. Also I don't think it would be that much of an upgrade over Anglia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads