The Student Room Group

UCL vs Bristol

Should I apply for UCL management (AAA)
Or Bristol economics (A*AA) and which would give me better job prospects?

Also if I’ve written my personal statement solely on economics, will UCL reject me even if I meet the requirements and have a strong application otherwise?
Reply 1
Original post by Laurence00

Also if I’ve written my personal statement solely on economics, will UCL reject me even if I meet the requirements and have a strong application otherwise?

UCL has a better world reputation. You should try to apply to similar degrees as your personal statement is towards different universities.
So if your ps is solely on economics, then it's likely UCL will reject you as it doesn't match their management degree perspective.

Well no doubt if you want to work in IB or consulting UCL gives you better prospects but Bristol is still an excellent university and you could definitely go into these fields regardless but you would need to jump on the spring week--internship conveyor belt asap.

Personally I think Bristol would be a more traditional university experience, a few years back I chose Nottingham over UCL on the basis that I thought I would enjoy it more (I also thought the course was better at Notts, and outside of finance/MBB it would not be as impactful CV wise ... and my degree is STEM i.e. not finance related).

I would say if working at McKinsey or JP Morgan is your sole goal, go to UCL. If your looking for a balance go to the course/university combination that you think suits you more.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Lucywang
UCL has a better world reputation. You should try to apply to similar degrees as your personal statement is towards different universities.
So if your ps is solely on economics, then it's likely UCL will reject you as it doesn't match their management degree perspective.

Thing is I don’t have the A* in maths for UCL and it says on their website they advise you not to apply unless you have the A*
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Well no doubt if you want to work in IB or consulting UCL gives you better prospects but Bristol is still an excellent university and you could definitely go into these fields regardless but you would need to jump on the spring week--internship conveyor belt asap.

Personally I think Bristol would be a more traditional university experience, a few years back I chose Nottingham over UCL on the basis that I thought I would enjoy it more (I also thought the course was better at Notts, and outside of finance/MBB it would not be as impactful CV wise ... and my degree is STEM i.e. not finance related).

I would say if working at McKinsey or JP Morgan is your sole goal, go to UCL. If your looking for a balance go to the course/university combination that you think suits you more.

Yeah I think I’d probably firm Bristol over UCL however will UCL reject me if my personal statement is solely based on economics when applying for a management science course (which has many economics modules)
Yeah I think I’d probably firm Bristol over UCL however will UCL reject me if my personal statement is solely based on economics when applying for a management science course (which has many economics modules)

Maybe hard to say. It really depends how the admissions tutor feels about PS.

Management is a different course, often in different faculties at universities. Given how competitive their is a resonable chance you get filtered out for not applying for the right subject.

Your probably better off picking one field management or economics and designing your application around that. Im sure UCL will offer s finance course.
Thing is I don’t have the A* in maths for UCL and it says on their website they advise you not to apply unless you have the A*

I think this is the answer to your question. That sounds like admissions speak for "A* Mathematics predicted or achieved mandatory" to me...and I don't think a completely economics focused PS will be suitable for management which is fundamentally a different course.
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
I think this is the answer to your question. That sounds like admissions speak for "A* Mathematics predicted or achieved mandatory" to me...and I don't think a completely economics focused PS will be suitable for management which is fundamentally a different course.

Would an economics heavy personal statement with a few lines relevant to management be sufficient
Would an economics heavy personal statement with a few lines relevant to management be sufficient

Doubtful, and then you dilute your PS for your preferred course. Just pick a course and stick with that, and apply to the appropriate universities you meet the requirements for, for that one course.

Quick Reply

Latest