Should I apply to Durham ? Am I good enough ? No

Watch
rehena12
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m kinda getting worried now and wondering if I’m good enough I’ve seen on the threads people being predicted really high grades etc

I have been predicted AAB
And I’m applying to geophysics with geology and the entry requirements are AAB too

I have 877776655

6-maths
7-7-science
6- geography

I’ve worked really hard on my personal statement and my teachers have helped and it’s super strong and rated 9/10 by my teachers and I have some decent references is their any point of applying do I stand a chance

Geophysics last year had 130 people who applied and 130 got offers no one was rejected but I’m not too sure if I stand a chance because the amount of people who apply might increase etc
elbarnes123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by rehena12)
I’m kinda getting worried now and wondering if I’m good enough I’ve seen on the threads people being predicted really high grades etc

And I’m applying to geophysics with geology and the entry requirements are AAB too

I have 877776655

6-maths
7-7-science
6- geography

I’ve worked really hard on my personal statement and my teachers have helped and it’s super strong and rated 9/10 by my teachers and I have some decent references is their any point of applying do I stand a chance

Geophysics last year had 130 people who applied and 130 got offers no one was rejected but I’m not too sure if I stand a chance because the amount of people who apply might increase etc
are you eligible for a contextual offer?
rehena12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by elbarnes123)
are you eligible for a contextual offer?
I don’t think so I don’t live in any of the areas of deprivation but I go to a state school I got the entry requirements and personal statement is strong I’m just thinking because I’m on the entry requirement I’m weak already
Telomere
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would. One punt. Couple of solid choices. And one choice for if things go less to plan than hoped.
rehena12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Telomere)
I would. One punt. Couple of solid choices. And one choice for if things go less to plan than hoped.
Yeah I’m doing that the course isn’t competive I just want it to be decent none of my course choices are above AAB
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I have 877776655

6-maths
7-7-science
6- geography

You have a good chance - go for it!
danig100
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m applying with AAB predicted for geology and my gcses are 998887764. I think with a strong personal statement you’ve got a good chance. If everyone applied with A*s they wouldn’t make the entry requirements AAB.
On the Durham website it says earth science department got 245 applications last year and 92% got offers so it’s not super competitive too.
rehena12
Rep:
?
(Original post by danig100)
I’m applying with AAB predicted for geology and my gcses are 998887764. I think with a strong personal statement you’ve got a good chance. If everyone applied with A*s they wouldn’t make the entry requirements AAB.
On the Durham website it says earth science department got 245 applications last year and 92% got offers so it’s not super competitive too.
Oh ok thank you so much I've worked super hard on my personal statement and I have some strong super circulars but I only had to extra circulars which my econ/ geo podcast and leading netball club and playing netball tournaments for my school

My reference I haven't seen it yet but my tutor knows me because have philosophy with him and we're a class of 14 which is quite small for my school and he mentioned my musical background because I play the cello violin and piano and did choir competitive I know Durham is quite big on we'll rounded ness and looks at the personal statement in depth so it should be fine

It's all a bit daunting when you hear people with 4 A* predicted

But because I'm doing geophysics with geology we will probably be a lot of the lectures

What college did you choose? I'm still stuck between cuths and Collingwood
wizkid44
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go for it!
danig100
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh ok thank you so much I've worked super hard on my personal statement and I have some strong super circulars but I only had to extra circulars which my econ/ geo podcast and leading netball club and playing netball tournaments for my school

My reference I haven't seen it yet but my tutor knows me because have philosophy with him and we're a class of 14 which is quite small for my school and he mentioned my musical background because I play the cello violin and piano and did choir competitive I know Durham is quite big on we'll rounded ness and looks at the personal statement in depth so it should be fine

It's all a bit daunting when you hear people with 4 A* predicted

But because I'm doing geophysics with geology we will probably be a lot of the lectures

What college did you choose? I'm still stuck between cuths and Collingwood
I was stuck between Collingwood and johns, but put collingwood down when i sent my ucas yesterday. Wouldn't worry about extra curriculars sounds like you've got loads, i've only got rowing and climbing.
Where else have you applied?
rehena12
Rep:
?
(Original post by danig100)
I was stuck between Collingwood and johns, but put collingwood down when i sent my ucas yesterday. Wouldn't worry about extra curriculars sounds like you've got loads, i've only got rowing and climbing.
Where else have you applied?

The only none academic curricular was netball

But related was an online course physics work experience etc and documentaries and charity work etc.

Why did you choose Collingwood I was thinking Collingwood because I'm avid in sports and played netball for 8 years but I wanted to be on the bailey side near the nice buildings etc and not the modern buildings which I think is Collingwood.

Hence was stuck between cuths and collingwood
I'm sending mine probably the first week of December

UCL, Liverpool, Leeds and St Andrews( but I honestly don't think ill get into St Andrews)

At Liverpool, the course is more physics heave but the only place I applied geology with St Andrews
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I would totally say to apply! I got an offer for law at AAB if i put it as my firm choice - it is usually AAA but they’re reduced it to AAB only if i put them as my form. I’m assuming they gave me a lower offer because of my area which is a lower socio economic area
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I have 877776655

6-maths
7-7-science
6- geography

The entry requirements aren't arbitrary - you're predicted to fulfil them (and those predictions look sensible in the context of your GCSE grades) so your application will be taken seriously. That doesn't guarantee that you'll get an offer but it does mean that you definitely stand a chance.
rehena12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
The entry requirements aren't arbitrary - you're predicted to fulfil them (and those predictions look sensible in the context of your GCSE grades) so your application will be taken seriously. That doesn't guarantee that you'll get an offer but it does mean that you definitely stand a chance.
Thank so much I was quite worried about it all because Durham is so competitive and one of the best in the UK for geology.

Do you have any tips?
chill pill
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I would totally say to apply! I got an offer for law at AAB if i put it as my firm choice - it is usually AAA but they’re reduced it to AAB only if i put them as my form. I’m assuming they gave me a lower offer because of my area which is a lower socio economic area
Hi, did they give you a contextual offer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (216)
55.96%
I don't have everything I need (170)
44.04%

Watched Threads