Moving to uni for semester 2 isn't an option?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi everyone,

You might have seen over the past few weeks that my university (Uni of Manchester) has received some pretty bad press. They initially told us uni would be face to face, then it switched to online. As it went online, I decided to move back home (6 hours away). I just got an email informing me that I will be required to come to uni for 2 hours a week for face to face teaching and for exams. For exams, fair enough. But to travel 6 hours each way (mostly will cost me a place to stay overnight) for 2 hours of teaching per week seems is a big financial stretch for me. There might be a case in semester 2 where it switches online again, plus this is my last year/semester of university, so to rent a place out for a few months will be almost impossible.

I was just wondering what your unis outlook is for the second part of uni this year and any advice to do on this position?
username5460436
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
My uni has decided it will remain the same next semester so a mix of online and in-class tutorials, but in reality they are scaling these back as not many students have been turning up instead doing the classes online. I would say it’s down to your own decision if moving is worth it - me and my sister who attend the same uni never bothered and stayed at home - as bus links suck as we live in a rural area.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ASAdams)
My uni has decided it will remain the same next semester so a mix of online and in-class tutorials, but in reality they are scaling these back as not many students have been turning up instead doing the classes online. I would say it’s down to your own decision if moving is worth it - me and my sister who attend the same uni never bothered and stayed at home - as bus links suck as we live in a rural area.
I hope my uni adopt this approach because I'm not sure how they expect those that left from 2020 semester 2 lockdown, or like me and left just before lockdown hit Manchester in semester 1 2020, to move back for a few months. Just doesn't seem safe or financially possible. Good to hear your uni is doing what's best
username5460436
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I hope my uni adopt this approach because I'm not sure how they expect those that left from 2020 semester 2 lockdown, or like me and left just before lockdown hit Manchester in semester 1 2020, to move back for a few months. Just doesn't seem safe or financially possible. Good to hear your uni is doing what's best
To move to halls for us just wasn’t worth it, considering the cost of accommodation, we could drive to uni but it wouldn’t be worth it - especially as a parking permit at uni is so expensive. I hope most unis follow the same approach of the status quo till next year.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ASAdams)
To move to halls for us just wasn’t worth it, considering the cost of accommodation, we could drive to uni but it wouldn’t be worth it - especially as a parking permit at uni is so expensive. I hope most unis follow the same approach of the status quo till next year.
Completely agree! It was getting bad just before the regional lock down hit so I'm glad I left. It isn't make any sense to be honest to move back and its adding back onto the stress
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.56%
England (143)
34.88%
Belgium (31)
7.56%
Germany (41)
10%
Spain (9)
2.2%