The Student Room Group

M

mm
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What’s your question?
Original post by 11Hannah:)
I need a reality check or some words of wisdom that are firm but fair because I don’t even know what I’m doing with my life anymore. I used to be so academic at my old comp and did so well in my GCSEs(although we didn’t sit them) and received 7 grade 9s, 2 grade 8s and 1 grade 7. Overall I was incredibly content with life and a very hard worker. I moved to a grammar school, moved back to my old comp for a day, and then went back to the grammar. I changed my A level combination 4x. There was a lot of catching up to do, but it was manageable. I’m at the point now that I do absolutely nothing, now that I’m self isolating, lessons are online. I’m doing nothing. I feel as if this isn’t even real. I don’t even want to be at this school anymore. I feel like I should of stayed at my comp. I feel useless and worthless.

Go and see the GP if you think you are depressed.
You can chat online to childline or various other helplines. I can give you links if needed.
Work out where you want to be comp or grammar.
Work out which A levels you want/need.

Talk to parents about your meltdown and maybe a year off is in order.
what subjects do you currently take?
Reply 4
I’m so sorry I didn’t make anything clear whatsoever. I just really don’t know what to do with my life or what’s wrong with me. At this point, I just need options of what I should do.

Are you still in yr12?
History, Economics and Politics.

Im in year 12 too and a levels are so hard so you're definitely not alone. You're not worthless or useless, just try and figure out what you truly want to do and you may enjoy them more :smile: Do you know what you want to do after a levels?
Yes.

I want to be at the comp but it’s too late. They also don’t offer any of my current subjects, apart from history but it’s a different module.

Then just restart next year and take a gap or knuckle down and focus on your A levels where you are.
If you went back for 1 day then why didnt you stay?
A levels is only about 21 months.
Speak to your parents.

If current school is no good and the comp is no good then look for others.
A potential idea. Write any/all your issues down - academic and non-academic. Then write potential solutions to those problems and evaluate them on their (for example) viability or other personal circumstances that you best know of.

Apologies if this is a bit vague, but what I'm trying to convey is to put all that is in your head on paper - you will better understand and grasp the issues you mentioned. By trying to actively solve them (or at least actively formulating potential solutions), it will instil a positive mindset to get you through this successfully.

Sorry if I'm still vague.

Also, TALK. Talk to your parents/family and even teachers. It truly helps!

Lastly, one more thing: A-levels =/= Life. Exams =/= life. Perhaps cliche but honestly, it's true!
i’m in year 12 too my lessons are not online , however. Year 12 is certainly a big change and it does get very difficult- ive also found t quite difficult to keep up with especially since ive been a “naturally smart(ish)” person who didn’t have to work for my grades as much previously. I really feel as if i’m slacking now- but keep your head up sis and your options open. Focus on a good future for yourself and that should keep you motivated:smile:
I’ve always been such an indecisive person and that truly has led to my downfall. However before this whole scenario I actually had dreams of Oxbridge and wanted to study law. I’ve always been passionate about politics and wanted to be an MP. But now I have no motivation to do anything.

For reference: one of my friends got a C in maths A-level. Took a Gap Year and is now studying PPE at Oxford.

Remember: roadblocks are part of any journey - sometimes it takes longer to navigate through some than others...
I’ve always been such an indecisive person and that truly has led to my downfall. However before this whole scenario I actually had dreams of Oxbridge and wanted to study law. I’ve always been passionate about politics and wanted to be an MP. But now I have no motivation to do anything.

that sounds amazing! you still have plenty of time to get there too. start now and look over topics on your course that make you passionate about politics and you may feel more motivated.
Reply 11
Okay lemme give you some context with my A level experience. I was bossing it at GCSE, loved school, got good grades. Went to 6th form and combination of a new freind group and a bad home situation can I came out of yr12 with BCCU. Moved city and school (my parents are split), and 18 moths later I had an offer from Cambridge. Didn’t really get on with teachers at that school tho and not having learning needs supported meant I came out with ABBD after predicted A*A*AA.

I took a year out, then I went back to college for one year, came out this summer with A*AAA (+C in an AS self taught). I’m now waiting to hear back from Oxford regarding interviews.

It took me 5 years to get those grades. I messed up many times, but I didn’t give up because I knew where I wanted to get to in life, and what I had to do to get there.

I’ve been to bad schools and good schools and realised that my biggest challenge was finding enough self respect to push myself to achieve something I would be proud of.

You have time. You have support. And most importantly you have opportunity right now. If you are doing nothing then :/ but know that the fact that you feel guilty means you at least still have some sense of direction. I’m not going to act like it’s easy to pull yourself up and study day in day out. But it also doesn’t mean you can’t find ways to enjoy it. Recognise you are on a journey, decide where to want to get to, and then start making your way to achieving those goals. We’ve probably only got this one life so save the idling for when you’re dead.

(Soz for a long one)

Hey! It appears we have similar interests so I may be able to help.
I am in Yr13 right now and am applying to Law at Christ's College, Cambridge. My interview and law test are next week and the weak after which is scarily exciting! I'm studying Econ, Maths and Spanish but I'm VERY invested in politics and would love to become PM one day or a civil servant.
Anyways, besides all that context, I need to tell you this: to be at this stage, and still just about persevering, should be considered a huge accomplishment just as it is. Living during a lockdown and going to school knowing that school and home are the only two legal places you are allowed to be in, besides the shops, is a HUGE burden, a huge sacrifice and a very scary thing to even comprehend in pre-pandemic terms. I have long been very upset about the way the government has handled all of this, as they have failed to consider the situations of people such as yourself - motivation is falling across ALL PEOPLE, and TRUST ME on that one. Mental health said "nah sis not this year" for literally every single student in Year 13, Year 12, Year 11 right now, and ofc uni students. So, we are all in the same boat.
But, if you feel as if you are worse than just feeling a lack of motivation, that is also still perfectly OK. It is just the start of year 12, and I promise you, from a Yr13 to a Yr12, there is nothing to stress about right now. As somebody recommended, speaking to a GP, your parents, a sibling, your best friend, even a trusted teacher (which I highly recommend considering school is the only place we are externally tied to right now lol). As you may be aware, if you are suffering right now to a degree which would be considered damaging for your education, this is what is called an "extenuating circumstance". I am nor the judge nor the jury to decide if you would qualify for this, but you certainly haven't had the best start to your 6th form career, so consulting your problems with someone professional would not only be advisable to the universities you're applying to but to yourself and your family too. Uncertainty is a horrible thing to handle, and I'm sure you've experienced that worse than we all have, so PLEASEEE don't be harsh on yourself at all. Universities are also increasingly aware of mental health and other mitigating factors in terms of your capacity to learn normally, besides the fact that you're not studying at a private school - if it assures you, when applying to Cambridge, there are at least three opportunities to indicate the current status of your mental health, as well as the impacts of the coronavirus on your education and on your mental health. These will be a good opportunity for you to show that you haven't had a fantastic time - but, don't get me misconstrued, this isn't a matter of playing the victim card or asking for sympathy or "copping out", because these are genuine problems that must be taken seriously. Don't ever feel invalidated by your circumstances, in a nutshell!
What I essentially want to say, through clearly a rather large amount of words, is that you must take it easy on yourself. You are clearly a strong person, and VERY clearly an intelligent one too! 7 9s is a ridiculous achievement, so congratulations - to put that into perspective, I got 6 9s, 3 8s and 1 7, so I think we both know who is the smarter one out of the two hahaha!!
Don't ever lose sight of your dreams of Oxbridge law - they are very much within reach. Treat them as ^plans^, not goals - therefore, they are tangible, doable and feasible! Which they clearly are!
You can be my chancellor of the exchequer one day hehe :wink:

Do you feel sad inside?
im in y13 now and i do get where u are coming from. y12 is quite an adjustment in work-load. we've all been there dw - just continue to work hard and try your best cos that is all you can do. dw if you don't get it at first cos you will eventually. take time for yourself - watch your favourite films, watch documentaries by the people that inspire you the most, speak to your friends
Oui.

I’d recommend you book a GP appointment, I hope you feel better soon xx
Im in year 12 too. I just did a mock today! Im telling you right now, the best thing you can do for yourself is learn the content by yourself with the spec alongside you! That is, only if your teachers are bad. Since you're learning online, i'd recommend DOING ALL THE WORK THAT TEACHERS SEND YOU ASAP. Sorry, I had to stress that one because I was in lockdown for 2 weeks and the amount of workload i got was MAD. Oh and, suck up to your teachers. Jk but just be nice to them because at the end of the day, they will be the ones giving you your predicted grade.
Honestly, reading this hit so hard. This is basically an early mid-life crisis. I can't give much advice since I'm also going through a very similar situation. The most you can do is try and regain motivation again really.
I’ve literally messed all of that up. I can’t bring myself to do any work I know how incredibly important it is but I feel so disconnected from it all. I really think my teachers don’t have the best perception of me as I’m not even doing the bare minimum. At my old comp the teachers knew my potential and how much of a hard worker I was.

Hi i am on a gap year after finishing alevels this year. i had this exact feeling but i had it just before mocks so i had **** mocks and then a **** grade in one of my alevels which i did in autumn. I just want to urge u to push ur hardest when it comes to mocks just so u have that security if its predicted and to please talk to someone and not drown in terrible mental health thats the most important thing after all. i hope yoi gey through this tough time ur experiencing right now.
Original post by SelKel
Im in year 12 too. I just did a mock today! Im telling you right now, the best thing you can do for yourself is learn the content by yourself with the spec alongside you! That is, only if your teachers are bad. Since you're learning online, i'd recommend DOING ALL THE WORK THAT TEACHERS SEND YOU ASAP. Sorry, I had to stress that one because I was in lockdown for 2 weeks and the amount of workload i got was MAD. Oh and, suck up to your teachers. Jk but just be nice to them because at the end of the day, they will be the ones giving you your predicted grade.

I completely second that - especially in times like these where we may be relying on centre assessed grades, improving teachers' perspectives of us is really key to doing well!

Quick Reply

Latest