Cocaiaaa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I’m in my first year of sixth form and taking maths, history and English literature, I also recently got a part time job in September and wanted one so desperately. I work retail, on an 8 hour contract (though they often give me 16 hours a week and want me to be flexible) I’m on a temporary contract that ends in 2 months but they’ve asked me if I want to stay permanently, the pay is pretty good (8.79 ph and will go to 9.10 if I stay permanent), but I’m really unsure on what to do. Because of lockdown, the store has had to close for 4 weeks and I’ve noticed that I lot happier, less stressed and have more time for myself- I’m pretty anxious about going back. The job is pretty demanding and means that I have to compromise other elements of my life. However, I’ve gotten used to having my own money for spending and love to know that I worked hard for it, additionally, I know that the savings will really help me in the long run as my family aren’t particularly rich and I will able to be use it for Uni and other educational opportunities later down the line etc. I’m also aiming for As and A*s and don’t know if I’ll be able to cope with the demands of work on the side. Should I quit and leave after my contract ends or stay and save money? (I feel like a bit of a failure as there are tons of other students who manage jobs and schoolwork simultaneously)
Kingston08
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cocaiaaa)
Hi, I’m in my first year of sixth form and taking maths, history and English literature, I also recently got a part time job in September and wanted one so desperately. I work retail, on an 8 hour contract (though they often give me 16 hours a week and want me to be flexible) I’m on a temporary contract that ends in 2 months but they’ve asked me if I want to stay permanently, the pay is pretty good (8.79 ph and will go to 9.10 if I stay permanent), but I’m really unsure on what to do. Because of lockdown, the store has had to close for 4 weeks and I’ve noticed that I lot happier, less stressed and have more time for myself- I’m pretty anxious about going back. The job is pretty demanding and means that I have to compromise other elements of my life. However, I’ve gotten used to having my own money for spending and love to know that I worked hard for it, additionally, I know that the savings will really help me in the long run as my family aren’t particularly rich and I will able to be use it for Uni and other educational opportunities later down the line etc. I’m also aiming for As and A*s and don’t know if I’ll be able to cope with the demands of work on the side. Should I quit and leave after my contract ends or stay and save money? (I feel like a bit of a failure as there are tons of other students who manage jobs and schoolwork simultaneously)
Hey there. I would suggest you do what your heart says. Once upon a time, I was in your shoe as well confused get a job and study or just study for 2 years in my sixth form and get a good job during unis. I listened to my heart and today I am happy with what I am doing. So I would say do what your heart says you will be happy and motivated.
Cocaiaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kingston08)
Hey there. I would suggest you do what your heart says. Once upon a time, I was in your shoe as well confused get a job and study or just study for 2 years in my sixth form and get a good job during unis. I listened to my heart and today I am happy with what I am doing. So I would say do what your heart says you will be happy and motivated.
What did you end up doing 😭 my heart want the money and the time idk what to do!
Academia Master
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are you and you will never be "tons of other students who manage jobs and schoolwork simultaneously". Do whatever makes you comfortable/happy and stop equating yourself to others. Not being able to perform as your peers do doesn't make you a failure.
Tashax2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m now in second year and I was in your position , it’s hard to manage and if you don’t need to work only work 1 day a week , I work on an 8 hour contract too but work about 12-15 if you make a timetable and stick to it you can do it. If you need any more tips pm me
m12:30
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I just want to say I completely understand where you are coming from. I am in year 13 doing 4 a levels at a really rigorous sixth form in London and all throughout year 12 I was working part time at a restaurant, mainly doing shifts from 5-11pm or on the weekends from 11-11, it was insane when I look back at it, I was getting so little sleep, barely any time to do my essays, homework and revision. The working conditions were ok and I got paid 7.50 an hour, plus minimal tips at times. I worked the whole school year after getting the job in the Summer of year 11 and was working this Summer too when restaurants opened back up, it got crazy busy during Eat Out to Help Out as you can imagine but I really do not regret the times I spent working. If you manage your time, prioritise what is important and save up, it will definitely help you and it is already so impressive that you are working in these times already as it is! I stopped working after August as year 13 is the most important time for me to prepare for uni, a levels and my future so I told my boss I did not intend to work during school terms, she was extremely considerate and gave me the time I need. I have not worked a shift since then and still have plenty of savings left for uni and my own needs, my parents were really proud of my work and even at school I managed to really revise and do well in my end of years in year 12. I am now predicted 4 A* and think that leaving my job in year 13 was the best choice: money and the security of having job to support yourself right now is great but do not let it strain you and prevent you from achieving the best you can! Hope this helped and private message me if you want any more advice or personal experience xx
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are on an 8 hour contract- would it be possible to say that you can only do thoae 8 hours a week and no more.
That way you could keep the job (you won't find a job that pays that well at your age anywhere else) and still have plenty of time to study.
You could let them know that you would be free to do a few extra hours in school holidays etc if they needed it.
Cocaiaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tashax2)
I’m now in second year and I was in your position , it’s hard to manage and if you don’t need to work only work 1 day a week , I work on an 8 hour contract too but work about 12-15 if you make a timetable and stick to it you can do it. If you need any more tips pm me
Thank you ☺️ I think I’m just going to have to start structuring my time really efficiently so that I can save up enough money to do the things I want to do !
Cocaiaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by m12:30)
Hi, I just want to say I completely understand where you are coming from. I am in year 13 doing 4 a levels at a really rigorous sixth form in London and all throughout year 12 I was working part time at a restaurant, mainly doing shifts from 5-11pm or on the weekends from 11-11, it was insane when I look back at it, I was getting so little sleep, barely any time to do my essays, homework and revision. The working conditions were ok and I got paid 7.50 an hour, plus minimal tips at times. I worked the whole school year after getting the job in the Summer of year 11 and was working this Summer too when restaurants opened back up, it got crazy busy during Eat Out to Help Out as you can imagine but I really do not regret the times I spent working. If you manage your time, prioritise what is important and save up, it will definitely help you and it is already so impressive that you are working in these times already as it is! I stopped working after August as year 13 is the most important time for me to prepare for uni, a levels and my future so I told my boss I did not intend to work during school terms, she was extremely considerate and gave me the time I need. I have not worked a shift since then and still have plenty of savings left for uni and my own needs, my parents were really proud of my work and even at school I managed to really revise and do well in my end of years in year 12. I am now predicted 4 A* and think that leaving my job in year 13 was the best choice: money and the security of having job to support yourself right now is great but do not let it strain you and prevent you from achieving the best you can! Hope this helped and private message me if you want any more advice or personal experience xx
Wow this is really reassuring I think I’m going to carry on working for now as I need the money and just creating a really structured timetable so I don’t fall behind. hoping my productivity rate doesn’t plummet 😭
Cocaiaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tashax2)
Yes I think I’m just going to have to work on time management as I really need the money 😭 thanks!
Rabbit2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Managing both is a real challenge. I never worked whilst i was in undergraduate school, but had a full time j0b in grad school. In compensation for that, i was only taking one course at a time - so it took me 7 yrs to finish my master's. One trick i discovered half way thgough my master's, was that by paying attention to how long the instructor spent on each topic covered in lecture, and how much work they did [just BS'ing, chalk talk, viewgraphs, handouts, etc], i got some insight into how important they thought each topic was to the course. Doing this, i was able to 'exam predict' - where i was correctly predicting about 90% of the questions on each exam. I found that to be a BIG!!!! help. Best of luck!!
Cocaiaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rabbit2)
Managing both is a real challenge. I never worked whilst i was in undergraduate school, but had a full time j0b in grad school. In compensation for that, i was only taking one course at a time - so it took me 7 yrs to finish my master's. One trick i discovered half way thgough my master's, was that by paying attention to how long the instructor spent on each topic covered in lecture, and how much work they did [just BS'ing, chalk talk, viewgraphs, handouts, etc], i got some insight into how important they thought each topic was to the course. Doing this, i was able to 'exam predict' - where i was correctly predicting about 90% of the questions on each exam. I found that to be a BIG!!!! help. Best of luck!!
Thank you !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise