user141173
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Is it worth taking A level law if I would like to do a Law degree at university? I have heard bad things about taking law at A level if you are interested in persuing it at uni.
Harl1403
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey!
I take a level law I’m in my 2nd year and I already have 2 offers to study it at uni and waiting on my other 3...
I have heard that people prefer you not to study a level law of doing it at degree... HOWEVER... the first thing my law teacher addressed is how utterly false this statement is and going through the course myself I completely agree! He also said how he believes more and more universities are now preferring students to study a level law...

I don’t see how I in anyway shape or form am at a disadvantage by studying the subject I will be taking on at degree level, literally to me now this statement sounds ludicrous and baffling.... is an English student at a disadvantage for doing a level English?? No, and neither is a law student!

That being said, it’s not a requirement to take it for university it’s any combination with essay subjects preferred! This is because some degree go back over a level topics such as the court systems. Some may say it’s boring going back over it but like ????? Really ???? It’s literally for a few weeks and you can ace that part because you already know it???? Plus the a level is not in as much detail as a degree is (obviously) so there may even be some new stuff.

On top of this, I know how to write a law essay. This is in that I already know cases and I already know how to apply the law in a given problem question - I don’t have to learn the structure of a law essay as I already have the fundamentals that my non a level law peers won’t have and I can continue to build on them!

Finally, my boyfriend studied law at degree level and not at a level and he ended up dropping out after the first year as the subject was nothing like he imagined. He said himself he wish he had studied it at a level as he would have realised this then and wouldn’t have even gone for a law degree from the beginning. Honestly I think that’s true! It was in a level law I determined my interest for the subject and a need to pursue it further. Before this I was thinking of an English/history degree!

It’s not essential to take but you’re 10000% not at a disadvantage from taking it and in my own personal opinion I think you’re at an advantage in terms of knowledge, interest and desire for the subject. If you’re applying to an interview university such as Oxford or Cambridge they will ask you to leave any legal knowledge at the door and use you’re critical thinking but this is to allow everyone a level playing field and will usually be in an area of law that is obscure so you’re knowledge is already extremely limited anyway so this is probably more than easy to leave at the door and use critical thinking instead.

What ever you decide W make sure you’re happy and confident in your subjects but if you have the option to do law at a level I say do it! It’ll allow you early access that may prove invaluable to you. Good luck!
Last edited by Harl1403; 2 months ago
nxddlx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would be careful about taking law, a lot of unis tend to not like it, I would suggest English lit/ lang, History, Government and politics or a language. The thing is with law A-level is that its completely different to uni law so you have to unlearn it. It really depends on what unis your thinking of applying for as some consider it a 'soft subject'.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
Heh so much wrong information.
Harl1403
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My answer is compiled completely of my OWN opinion and my OWN experience hence why I’ve said things like in my opinion and what I agree with from what other people have said.

Opinion is the basis of this “great debate” and ultimately only you yourself can decide whether or not you think studying a level law is for you. As someone who is like me and has studied law a level and gone on to degree level may completely disagree and say don’t do it!

So in this, the best thing to do is research it and decide which side of the fence you sit on - yes or no.
The lawyer portal provides a great insight to each side of the debate which you can read. It even has a poll at the end asking users what they think whether you should or shouldn’t study a level law for a law degree and just for reference the “yes” side is up 64% to 36%😉

Here’s the link:
https://www.thelawyerportal.com/blog...e-law-a-level/

Again, you really need to look into this yourself, make a pro and con list, talk to teachers, students, parents anyone, and then decide for yourself, let me know which way you go!

As for other users on TSR: my answe is my own opinion and you do not have to agree with me at all! That’s absolutely fine, if you have any issues with my answer then you can message me and I’ll be open to listen to the criticisms and make my opinions more “rounded”. You don’t have to be rude about the info I’ve put on as again it’s my opinion and how I’ve taken in the information from the course it’s self don’t come @ me for having an opinion we do not live in a dictatorship xox
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by nxddlx)
I would be careful about taking law, a lot of unis tend to not like it, I would suggest English lit/ lang, History, Government and politics or a language. The thing is with law A-level is that its completely different to uni law so you have to unlearn it. It really depends on what unis your thinking of applying for as some consider it a 'soft subject'.
This myth has been completely overturned by prestigious universities like Oxford and Cambridge, all of whom have explicitly gone on record to say that A level Law is perfectly respectable and not considered 'soft'. 'Soft' subjects don't even exist anymore.

user141173 If you like the sound of the A level course, take it. Universities do not view it any less than something like Politics or History. 'Facilitating' or 'respectable' A level subjects don't exist anymore; they're all equally acceptable. Take the subjects you'll enjoy more and will get good grades in, because universities only want grades from you.

Again, I repeat - universities will not find certain subjects more 'impressive'; A level Law, History, Politics, English Lit etc are all acceptable. Choose the subjects you'll enjoy studying and will find easier to do.
nxddlx
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
This myth has been completely overturned by prestigious universities like Oxford and Cambridge, all of whom have explicitly gone on record to say that A level Law is perfectly respectable and not considered 'soft'. 'Soft' subjects don't even exist anymore.

user141173 If you like the sound of the A level course, take it. Universities do not view it any less than something like Politics or History. 'Facilitating' or 'respectable' A level subjects don't exist anymore; they're all equally acceptable. Take the subjects you'll enjoy more and will get good grades in, because universities only want grades from you.

Again, I repeat - universities will not find certain subjects more 'impressive'; A level Law, History, Politics, English Lit etc are all acceptable. Choose the subjects you'll enjoy studying and will find easier to do.
Honestly, I must agree with you, I remember definitely when I was personally picking subjects there was definitely a warning that came with a level law, but I'm sure times have changed. Law is generally really fun and exciting! I do law soc in my school and would also recommend ontop of a level some sort of soc if your school does them just for fun.
RetroSPECT3.0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
right im going to be taking A Level Law and I had strict clear conviction that I wouldnt take it as it was considered 'soft'. However, the first thing our teacher said in the taster was just how nonsense it was and what sold it to me was that he had sent pupils to Oxford, Cambridge, Russel Group and even Ivy League. So I just say go for it- if you enjoy it then do it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (30)
16.85%
No one else does (59)
33.15%
I'm embarrassed about my background (18)
10.11%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (62)
34.83%
We don't use a video platform (2)
1.12%
I don't have a camera (2)
1.12%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.81%

Watched Threads