username5431136
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have applied to college to study Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and English Lit. I also wanted to do the EPQ. The course I want to get into at uni is really competitive and taking a fourth A-level/EPQ is recommended to help candidates stand out, however doing an EPQ won't lower grade requirements like in some other unis. The college said I would be allowed to keep all four subjects and do the EPQ, but I was wondering if it would be better if I only did 3 subjects along with the EPQ. Is an EPQ better than a whole A-level?
cathy765
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I’m in year 13 and started with 4 a levels. I then dropped an a level and started my EPQ. I knew for the course I wanted to do they were only looking for 3 a levels and I found it really stressful within the first 2 weeks of year 12 doing 4 a levels. I ended up dropping out of EPQ at the beginning of lockdown as I couldn’t keep up with all my work as well as the EPQ but I think it’s a good thing to be able to talk about in your personal statement. It is an AS standard qualification meaning it has less UCAS points than another A level but it shows you want to learn around your subject and do extra reading to a huge extent.

Id say it depends on the degree you want to do as a science degree may want more a levels where a creative or social science degree might want to see that you can form your own opinions well and do a university-style assignment!

Hope this is helpful!
inshaes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,I'm in year 13 and did my EPQ in year 12 from sep-feb and I got an A.EPQ is only equivalent to half of an A-level. If you can manage four A levels and do really well in them then you should do 4 its better than 3 alevels and epq. My friend did 4 alevels and epq but dropped it because it was too stressful. You should do 4 alevels. You could try the EPQ along with them and see how it goes- you can always drop it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads