The Student Room Group

Further Maths MEI B options

MEI B further maths, given taking 1 major (mechanics) can I take more than 1 minor and give the one I score highest in?
A person in my class at A Level (this was Edexcel Further Maths though) took 2 extra books than he needed to, in the end they took the highest score out of them as contributing to his final a Level grade. I don't think MEI will be much different
See section 3G here
https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/308768-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-further-mathematics-b-mei-h645.pdf

Where learners take more than the required number of papers, the combination of papers that result in the best grade will be used.

Note, however, that only certain combinations of papers are allowed. So if you were to take, say, Mechanics Major + Statistics Minor + Modelling with Algorithms, then the allowed combinations are Mech Major + Stats minor, and Mech Major + MWA. So Mech Major will always count towards your final result. Therefore, from a grade-maximising perspective, it may be optimal to take 4 minor papers, since then your worst paper is always dropped.

Note also section 2B of the specification:
Learners may not enter for Mechanics Major (Y421) and Mechanics Minor (Y431).
Learners may not enter for Statistics Major (Y422) and Statistics Minor (Y432).
Learners may not enter for Mechanics Major (Y421) and Statistics Major (Y422).
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest