please can someone help me with some chemsitry as level asappp :(

Watch
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
i dont understand the difference between a nucleophile and a free radical. please could someone explain it to me xxx i hv a test tomozzz

tysmm
crusty kebab
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A nucleophile is an electron pair donor. So there's an available electron pair ( for example water can be a nucleophile since the oxygen has two pairs of available electron pairs). However, a free radical is a particle with an unpaired electron. So Cl is a free radical cuz it has 7 electrons in its outer shell, so there is an unpaired electron.
username4672618
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
i dont understand the difference between a nucleophile and a free radical. please could someone explain it to me xxx i hv a test tomozzz

tysmm
free radicals have an unpaired electron that is very unstable so reacts with other species
nucleophile donates a lone pair of electrons
username5466526
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The above two descriptions are perfectly good, just adding on to them:

In most organic chemistry, the nucleophile is an :OH- which is attracted to a carbocation (C δ+). The lone pair is denoted with two dots to represent the electrons that are reacting (I use a colon to show this here).
More examples of nucleophiles: H2O:, :Cl-, :Br-, :NH3, :OR-

Any molecule can become a free radical. They are extremely reactive and are able to "steal" an electron from another species to become a non-radical, thus turning the other species into a radical since it has then lost an electron. This process keeps happening until one of the radicals reacts with another radical - two odds always make an even. The unpaired electron is denoted with a single dot on the atom with the unpaired electron.
replaythat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Free Radicals contain an unpaired (lone) electron, however Nucleophiles *DONATE* (key word here is donate) their lone pair of electrons
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Thank you for Ur help, but what would u say exactly is the difference btwn the two xx

I keep getting confused ☹️
replaythat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
Thank you for Ur help, but what would u say exactly is the difference btwn the two xx

I keep getting confused ☹️
Well essentially a lone pair of electrons are electrons that are not bonded with an another atom (covalent bond) - Dot and cross diagram attached below this ammonia - Notice that there are 2 red electrons at the top that are not bonded to any of the hydrogen atoms - these are your lone pair of electrons and they usually always exist as lone pair - Now in some compounds like ammonia these lone pair of electrons can be donated to another element like a carbons atom - during a nucleophillic substitution this increases electron density etc. ( This concept is pretty similar to the ionic bond one - where for example KCl - K has a +1 charge and so losing an electron will make it a stable compound and Cl has a -1 charge and so gaining an electron will make it more stable. As a result the K (potassium will donate an electron to make it more stable) - Remember here we are only donating one electron whereas a nucleophile donates a PAIR of electrons. Free radicals on the other hand have a lone pair but they don't give it away, think of it as a greedy sister not giving you her clothes, essentailly free radicals keep it
Attached files
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
(Original post by replaythat)
Well essentially a lone pair of electrons are electrons that are not bonded with an another atom (covalent bond) - Dot and cross diagram attached below this ammonia - Notice that there are 2 red electrons at the top that are not bonded to any of the hydrogen atoms - these are your lone pair of electrons and they usually always exist as lone pair - Now in some compounds like ammonia these lone pair of electrons can be donated to another element like a carbons atom - during a nucleophillic substitution this increases electron density etc. ( This concept is pretty similar to the ionic bond one - where for example KCl - K has a +1 charge and so losing an electron will make it a stable compound and Cl has a -1 charge and so gaining an electron will make it more stable. As a result the K (potassium will donate an electron to make it more stable) - Remember here we are only donating one electron whereas a nucleophile donates a PAIR of electrons. Free radicals on the other hand have a lone pair but they don't give it away, think of it as a greedy sister not giving you her clothes, essentailly free radicals keep it
sorry for the late reply
thanks so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (183)
43.78%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (48)
11.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.89%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.29%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (41)
9.81%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (24)
5.74%

Watched Threads