lily547
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
thinking about doing an epq but not sure because I don't know if it would be better to focus on achieving better in my subjects and just focusing on that. Or trying to do better and do an epq to boost ucas pounts.
Also If i do an epq, should it be related to my course entirely.
eg, if i was doing a uni degree in law and criminology does my epq have to link?
username5450504
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lily547)
thinking about doing an epq but not sure because I don't know if it would be better to focus on achieving better in my subjects and just focusing on that. Or trying to do better and do an epq to boost ucas pounts.
eg, if i was doing a uni degree in law and criminology does my epq have to link?
I currently doing an EPQ and i do think its valuable since it really helps with research and writing skills, which will be useful at uni. I found it manageable to do it while working on my 3 other A levels- id suggest dedicate a time of the week (couple hours) to work on your EPQ. Some unis will also lower the grade requirements if you get an A in the EPQ, so thats a bonus!
in terms of the actual project, it doesn't have to link to your chosen uni course, but it may be useful since you could then mention it on your personal statement (showing you have done wider reading and research) and in any interviews.
claguem01
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lily547)
what year are you in? if you're in y12 i definitely recommend. you can get it all done over summer (that's what i did this year during lockdown). then it won't even interfere with your subjects. i wouldn't say it's difficult but it's a fair bit of work so does take a while. the most important thing is to choose a topic which you're genuinely interested in because it makes the process so much easier. linking to your degree course would be useful because you can write about it in your personal statement/talk about it at interview etc, and will also give you skills and knowledge which are relevant to what you want to do. i've applied to psychology at uni and my epq was about the relationship between autism and mental health. i thought mine was rubbish when i was writing it and i thought it was all wrong, but i got an A*! and i've had all of my uni offers reduced as a result of it honestly one of the best things you can do (even if it doesn't feel like it at the time!)
lily547
Rep:
(Original post by claguem01)
what year are you in? if you're in y12 i definitely recommend. you can get it all done over summer (that's what i did this year during lockdown). then it won't even interfere with your subjects. i wouldn't say it's difficult but it's a fair bit of work so does take a while. the most important thing is to choose a topic which you're genuinely interested in because it makes the process so much easier. linking to your degree course would be useful because you can write about it in your personal statement/talk about it at interview etc, and will also give you skills and knowledge which are relevant to what you want to do. i've applied to psychology at uni and my epq was about the relationship between autism and mental health. i thought mine was rubbish when i was writing it and i thought it was all wrong, but i got an A*! and i've had all of my uni offers reduced as a result of it honestly one of the best things you can do (even if it doesn't feel like it at the time!)
Im in year 12, i take english lit and I know I have to do coursework for that over the summer, and someone else said to dedicate some time each week to do it so I think is would be able to manage. Especially if I was interested in what I'm picking. I don't know for definite what course I want to pick yet but they all revolve around law, criminilology and sociology so I'm not sure what I could link to that. One idea i really liked was toxic masculinity and talk about topics like the media, mental health/suicide, domestic abuse, homophobia. But that doesn't really link.
lily547
Rep:
(Original post by alisha.h)
I currently doing an EPQ and i do think its valuable since it really helps with research and writing skills, which will be useful at uni. I found it manageable to do it while working on my 3 other A levels- id suggest dedicate a time of the week (couple hours) to work on your EPQ. Some unis will also lower the grade requirements if you get an A in the EPQ, so thats a bonus!
in terms of the actual project, it doesn't have to link to your chosen uni course, but it may be useful since you could then mention it on your personal statement (showing you have done wider reading and research) and in any interviews.
When thinking about it, i do think I would be able to manage, especially if it was a topic I was interested in. I looked at some of the uni's I have liked on ucas and some of them lower the grade requirements. I'm struggling to think of a topic that links but I haven't thought hard enough about a topic really
apple squash
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by claguem01)
Hi! I'm in y12 and about to start doing my EPQ. I want to do psychology at Uni and I'm thinking of doing an EPQ based on autism. I already know quite a lot about it from an online course I did a couple of months ago but I'm stuck on what the main question for the EPQ should be. If you have any advice on what helped with your EPQ I'd really appreciate it!! (:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.37%
Okay (64)
29.77%
A bit lacking (81)
37.67%
Not good at all (52)
24.19%

Watched Threads