Help! Resitting Year 12 and GCSEs for grades???

Watch
AchyutChaudhary
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi all,
I hope you are well.

This year my GCSE grades that I got from my teachers were all lower than my predicted target grades and mock grades. I appealed for all subjects but none worked out. I was in the very tiny minority of the students this year who got disappointed (badly) with the grades I received from my teachers, especially after the u turn of the standardisation method proposed by Ofqual.

I wanted to study a level maths, history and geography but none of the around 20 sixth forms allowed me in with those grades. I have an absolute passion for those subjects, but they all preferred grades over interests in their subjects.

But I couldn’t give up, I planned to redo History, geography, maths and English gcse in year 12 (while studying some Btecs for the time being too). In this way, I can redo year 12 with the subjects I want if my grades are better.
However, this does mean that 1 year of my education got wasted when I would have been studying with my classmates just because of the grades my teachers gave me.

Hence, do you have any idea about what the cons and pros could be in my education situation like this when I am resitting some of my GCSE’s in year 12 and then redoing year 12 next year with the subjects I want? Do you know of anyone who had been or is in sought of in the same boat as me?
Will I be an year older at university than most of my classmates? Will universities accept me after redoing a gcse year?

Many thanks for your help and have a lovely day ahead
19angel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Being a year behind isn’t much of a big deal, when you start uni there will be lots of different ages starting at the same time as you. Lots of people take year outs for different reasons. If you’re set on those a levels then you should continue with retaking your GCSEs otherwise you’ll end up doing something you don’t want to just bc of the fear of ‘maybe being a year behind’ and in the grand scheme of things - a year isn’t that long
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.57%
Uncertainty around my education (58)
11.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (60)
11.93%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.12%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (28)
5.57%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (22)
4.37%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.54%
Financial worries (30)
5.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
3.98%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.36%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.98%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (49)
9.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (42)
8.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise