The Student Room Group

Moving back to the USA

Hey everyone!

I'm currently a junior doctor in my second year. Feeling like I need a break and missing my family (all back in California). Was thinking I might take a year off to see them and recover from the hectic ways of COVID hospital life. Does anyone know what junior doctors can legally do in the USA (specifically California)? Like could I work as a phlebotomist during my time off to at least keep up my skills and make some money?

Cheers!
Original post by BenjayL
Hey everyone!

I'm currently a junior doctor in my second year. Feeling like I need a break and missing my family (all back in California). Was thinking I might take a year off to see them and recover from the hectic ways of COVID hospital life. Does anyone know what junior doctors can legally do in the USA (specifically California)? Like could I work as a phlebotomist during my time off to at least keep up my skills and make some money?

Cheers!

Think you're going to be better off asking on a US centric forum like Student Doctor Network.

Pretty sure in the US nurses generally do bloods? The UK is quite unique in getting highly qualified doctors to spend their formative years being phlebs.

Also, taking bloods is not really keeping up with your skills as a doctor. I would do something like a postgrad degree or a non-clinical research fellowship. Spending a year as a phleb is a serious waste of your time.
Original post by BenjayL
Hey everyone!

Cheers!

I'm sure you could do low-skilled work yes. Not sure that'd be a phlebotomist specifically.

I'd hardly consider that keeping up skills as a doctor though. Even in the UK, beyond FY2 you should be taking blood less and less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending