Ew2000x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi, I’ve had a bit of a nightmare with student finance so haven’t been able to move out yet, when I eventually do I am looking at a private rented flat and living by myself. I feel like there’s a bit of a grey area on council tax for students as I can’t find the answer I’m looking for online. I know students in halls are automatically exempt from council tax, but will I be exempt as a full time student living in a private rented flat (not ran by the unis or classed as student accommodation). The council tax is pretty hefty for my area if I was paying it by myself even with a discount so I was just after advice before I made a decision.
Ew2000x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Ew2000x)
Hi, I’ve had a bit of a nightmare with student finance so haven’t been able to move out yet, when I eventually do I am looking at a private rented flat and living by myself. I feel like there’s a bit of a grey area on council tax for students as I can’t find the answer I’m looking for online. I know students in halls are automatically exempt from council tax, but will I be exempt as a full time student living in a private rented flat (not ran by the unis or classed as student accommodation). The council tax is pretty hefty for my area if I was paying it by myself even with a discount so I was just after advice before I made a decision.
This might also seem like a bit of a dumb question, but even if I am living in a block of flats, my flat in itself will be considered one “household” is that correct? Or will the council tax bill be for the entire building, as a whole even with separate flats?
Emily in Paris
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
if you're a student, you're exempted from paying council tax. All students are. If you live with a non-student, then they will have to pay council tax.
Emily in Paris
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
and yes, you're exempted even for private rented flats
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Ew2000x)
You are exempt even if private rentals - it's you that the tax people care about in terms of assessing, not the specific property.

Source: I lived in a one-bed (non-student) flat during my undergrad, and saved over £900 a year on council tax due to my exemption.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
for the record
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ho...g-council-tax/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (17)
28.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.67%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
60%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5%

Watched Threads