The Student Room Group

Should I withdraw my MSc application?

So, I applied to the MSc and PhD programs in the same subject at the same Department at the same university. I did so, because I really wanted to get PhD either way but didn't feel that confident. So, it was my way to secure the place (and I made that clear in the MSc personal statement).
Recently I was made an unofficial offer for PhD program with funding. This offer is yet to be officially confirmed and chances are ~80%.
My MSc application hasn't been even assessed yet. I am quite concerned that it would look not that good if the same admission tutors will see the MSc application after making an informal offer (it could show my insecurity or smth) and it can possibly influence their decision on delivering the official PhD offer. But at the same time I am not 100% certain that i would really get the place and funding for the PhD.
So, should I withdraw the MSc application with the risk of not being accepted at all? Or, should I keep it for now until the formal offer is made?
P.S. I have applied to other MSc and PhD programs as well but this Uni is my top-choice and I would prefer masters in this particular Uni rather than at others.
Original post by Mr.Joe
So, I applied to the MSc and PhD programs in the same subject at the same Department at the same university. I did so, because I really wanted to get PhD either way but didn't feel that confident. So, it was my way to secure the place (and I made that clear in the MSc personal statement).
Recently I was made an unofficial offer for PhD program with funding. This offer is yet to be officially confirmed and chances are ~80%.
My MSc application hasn't been even assessed yet. I am quite concerned that it would look not that good if the same admission tutors will see the MSc application after making an informal offer (it could show my insecurity or smth) and it can possibly influence their decision on delivering the official PhD offer. But at the same time I am not 100% certain that i would really get the place and funding for the PhD.
So, should I withdraw the MSc application with the risk of not being accepted at all? Or, should I keep it for now until the formal offer is made?
P.S. I have applied to other MSc and PhD programs as well but this Uni is my top-choice and I would prefer masters in this particular Uni rather than at others.

Firstly, congratulations on the unofficial PhD offer!

Given that you're already explained that you've applied for both courses, I don't think there's a need to withdraw your MSc application just yet. Admissions tutors and advisors will be well aware of the precarity of PhD funding and the need for you to have confirmation both of your place and your funding before feeling confident of your PhD offer - so I think it highly unlikely that this would be help against you, especially as you've been upfront about applying for both, and your reasoning for this. As and when you receive confirmation of your place and funding, you would then need to withdraw your other applications.

Hope that helps!

Amy :smile:
Original post by Mr.Joe

I dont think it would be an issue.

I would hold the MSc application until you get the PhD confirmed then once you have that sorted withdraw.

I guess it depends how confident you are in this verbal/unofficial offer. But I dont think it would be held against you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending