Should we break up because of religion? Hindu and Muslim

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I’m 21 and dating a boy who’s of a different religion. We love each other a lot and fit together perfectly. Religion isn’t an issue between us as we both respect eachother however his family are religious and won’t accept of me. He says its fine but I don’t want to marry into a family who dont accept of me. My family will not accept this relationship or marriage either however they can come around whereas his won’t. All of his family (including extended relatives) will never see me as there own. I don’t know whether to be with him anyway or break up and find someone of the same religion which would make life easy.
Violet5567
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Dating is haram in Islam so whoever is the Muslim in this relationship shouldn’t be dating in the first place. If your are the Muslim it’s also haram to marry a guy from a different religion. Putting that aside I think once his family meet you and vice versa they’ll start seeing you for more than your religion.
papie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Spencer5567)
Dating is haram in Islam so whoever is the Muslim in this relationship shouldn’t be dating in the first place. If your are the Muslim it’s also haram to marry a guy from a different religion. Putting that aside I think once his family meet you and vice versa they’ll start seeing you for more than your religion.
It's not haram to marry someone with diff religion. who told you that ?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No.
If you are happy together, believe in interfaith relationships, the difference in religious beliefs is not a negative issue in your relationship and you both want to have a long term future together- there's no need to split up.

I support interfaith friendships, relationships and marriages.
My best friend and I believe in different religions, we have been besties since nursery more than 20 years ago.
My best friend's brother is in an inter-faith marriage, happily married to a liberal hindu.
My mother was disinherited and almost beaten to death by her ultra-traditionalist religious ancestors for deciding to marry an atheist.
My parents are soulmates and have been together for decades.
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by papie)
It is haram for a Muslim woman to marry a man of a different religion. As for men, they are allowed to marry "Woman of the Book" ie Christian and Jewish women, however scholars agree that it is advisable that they stick to Muslim women.
Last edited by Gaddafi; 9 months ago
Violet5567
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by papie)
It’s haram for a Muslim woman to marry a man that isn’t muslim as it is considered the father’s responsibility to teach his kids to be good Muslims but Muslim men can marry women tog different faiths
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m 21 and dating a boy who’s of a different religion. We love each other a lot and fit together perfectly. Religion isn’t an issue between us as we both respect eachother however his family are religious and won’t accept of me. He says its fine but I don’t want to marry into a family who dont accept of me. My family will not accept this relationship or marriage either however they can come around whereas his won’t. All of his family (including extended relatives) will never see me as there own. I don’t know whether to be with him anyway or break up and find someone of the same religion which would make life easy.
Do as you think is best. Don't do what your families thinks is best - if you disagree.
Zamestaneh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by papie)
Marrying a Mushrik* is forbidden for both men and women, and thus marrying a Hindu is Haraam.

*Under the title of Mushrik, comes most other religions including atheists.

Women can only marry Muslim men by consenses (and any marriage to a non-Muslim man is considered fornication), and men can only marry Muslim women; there is an exception that another brother mentioned above that men can marry Ahlul Kitab, however this is subject to the condition that she is chaste (which most aren't in the West nowadays), and in addition, scholars strongly advised against it because most of us live in non-Muslim majority countries thus any children will likely grow up irreligious or as apostates. In addition to this, rules concerning Islamic marriage, divorce and the Islamic rights of husband/wife/children will not be respected here.
Last edited by Zamestaneh; 9 months ago
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If you're happy and you love each other, it really seems a shame and a loss to break up because it's hard and your families are being *****.
They may well come around over time when they see that you two care about each other, even if it goes against their religious views, because people are complicated. I hope that happens for you.

Nevertheless, if they don't, you guys don't have to keep them in your lives, and you need to talk to your boyfriend about how you're going to play this and support each other. Sadly, you might also have to think about how to keep yourselves safe if there's any risk of honour-based violence as well.

You might want to look into support groups: http://www.interfaithmarriage.org.uk...rt_groups.html
:goodluck:
Zamestaneh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As per the religious beliefs of a Muslim, as I stated in the post above, your union will be invalid, and whichever of you is Muslim will accrue the sin of a fornicator for the rest of your/his life and be accountable for that sin in the grave and the hereafter, and without repenting for it and rectifying the situation, you/he will not be forgiven for it until you have received the punishment for it by God as per the Qur'an (which is the word of God) - there is no defence of 'God will forgive us because it's love' because He has already given His judgement in the guidance He gave to us.

If you are the Hindu in this relationship, you will be making him completely contradict his beliefs, though whether you care about that or not is upon you, and if he says he doesn't care about it, it is upon him, but nonetheless it is ill-advised. At some point in most Muslims lives, they have a reflective moment where they choose to become more religious, and as such they are more likely to break away from anything sinful including sinful relationships. This leaves you and him at risk of heartbreak in later life.

Regardless, speaking as someone who is South Asian and understands the culture (which most people on TSR won't understand and just encourage you to 'do what you want'), I myself have been disowned by family (for other reasons) and I can advise you on purely personal experience that it is not rosy. Of course I am not held back by cultural expectation but the cost is everyone I ever loved and whomever loved me being distant to me, and it is extremely lonely. For something where the future is risky (you could always divorce) you never burn bridges or the bridges of your partner for selfish temporary gain - it could backfire, leaving you or him very much more alone after...

Breaking up is the most logical thing to do. Sticking together is just emotional bias that denies all reality, in which case why make the thread in the first place other than to reassure the view tou already held?
The only way to salvage this is to both be Muslim, but such conversion would have to be sincere, you/he would have to learn about Islam and completely recant Hinduism (none of this hydbrid 50/50 Muslim who does Poojah stuff), and then approach marriage properly and not a secret relationship, but this of course requires a massive commitment and sincerity to belief and not just an act of love.
Last edited by Zamestaneh; 9 months ago
Anonymous #2
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by papie)
If you are Muslim women you can't marry anyone outside the religion is haram however Muslim men can marry anyone but is disliked by Allah (swt)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.39%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.48%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.64%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.75%

Watched Threads