The Student Room Group

Why do people hate American accent so much?

I want to study in the UK next year(if I do get an acceptance) and it seems like everyone in Britain is kinda against North Americans.. I live in Canada but USA and our culture is basically the same.. and I live 15 minutes away from Detroit, Michigan so I go there like every weekend..for shopping or etc..

In Canada, everyone loves the British accent and we're not really rude about it.. But I see a lot of British people making fun of North American accent, and most people say they don't like it. I saw some threads in TSR about it and many ppl were making fun of our accent and the words we use, and it seems like most don't like them. I also see many British people generalizing that American people are stupid. Why is this? If I do end up studying in the UK, would I get discriminated even a little bit because of this?

Scroll to see replies

We hate Americans in general, not just the accent.
Whaaaat

I like it? It sounds..sexy?
Much better than British anywayy :yep:
Reply 3
Why do you care? You're Canadian.
Reply 4
i dont personally hate any of the american accents. on fact i love the broad noo yoik accent. chin up mate. you'll be fine!
Reply 5
manmade xoxo
I want to study in the UK next year(if I do get an acceptance) and it seems like everyone in Britain is kinda against North Americans, especially Americans.. I live in Canada but our culture is basically the same.. I live 15 minutes away from Detroit, Michigan so I go there like every weekend..for shopping or etc..

In Canada, everyone loves the British accent and we're not really rude about it.. But I see a lot of British people making fun of North American accent, and most people say they don't like it. I saw some threads in TSR about it and many ppl were making fun of our accent and the words we use, and it seems like most don't like them. I also see many British people generalizing that American people are stupid. Why is this? If I do end up studying in the UK, would I get discriminated even a little bit because of this?

Nah, there's quite a few Americans and Canadians where I went to uni in the past and everyone got on fine with them. No one cares really, you're just another person so you'll be fine!
I don't really like American accents 'cos they are kinda hard to understand. But I'm sure Americans say that about the British, so psh :p:
Reply 7
You're Canadian. Make that very clear, and you won't have a problem with anyone. So long as you're a decent person ofcourse.

It's just what we see of people. The Americans we're exposed to over here, are stupid, sickeningly patriotic rednecks. (What we see of Canadians is just nice, happy, friendly folk. Hence the "make it very clear you're canadian".)

But yeah, a lot of the accents are very irritating. They're just so whiny and nasally usually. And when they're not, they really don't help the whole stupid image with the way they sound.
Reply 8
I have a midatlantic accent and I have no problem with the american accent. Better than a lot of the british regional accents.
Reply 9
If anyone has a problem with your accent it's because they are a retard who needs to get a bit more excitement in their life. Not your fault. I can't see anyone making fun of it, that just takes sadness to the next level. Seriously, it's just pathetic. They shouldn't be at a uni if they are dumb enough to do that.

Don't let that stop you. You'll have an awesome time wherever you go!
Reply 10
If anyone says anything just have a go about our teeth being bad or our general ugliness.

May as well give them back any stick you get and the majority of people who have a go at Americans will be open to criticism anyway.
Reply 11
I don't love it or hate it, but it's a hell alot better than the northern accent you get here in the UK (Liverpudlian and Mancunian mainly) not to forget the ****** accent.

Anyways I love doing the American accent its so much fun!!
It just sounds like background noise, that's my main issue, it sends me to sleep.
Reply 13
As somebody else said-let it be know that you are Canadian not American. In general people in Britain see Americans as loud, brash and a bit ignorant and arrogant (and personally I find people from the states to be quite rude)...but Canadians as nice:smile:

Having visited both countries I must say I do prefer the Canadians-you guys are much friendlier than people in the US!
Reply 14
Malinski
I don't love it or hate it, but it's a hell alot better than the northern accent you get here in the UK (Liverpudlian and Mancunian mainly) not to forget the ****** accent.

Anyways I love doing the American accent its so much fun!!

You wouldn't happen to be a southerner would you?
Reply 15
Is it bad that I find some American accents quite sexy? (there is more than one type of American accent you know! Much like there are many British accents).

And yeah, WOO CANADA!
Reply 16
Kemik
You wouldn't happen to be a southerner would you?

Maybe, why?

Edit: Just realised you study in Liverpool. :o: I didn't mean to offend you, sorry if I did :puppyeyes:
Tyraell
Is it bad that I find some American accents quite sexy? (there is more than one type of American accent you know! Much like there are many British accents).

And yeah, WOO CANADA!
Well personally I think you're crazy, because I find most American accents disgusting on girls. But, you know, to each their own. Why would it be a bad thing?
Reply 18
I like the accent. and your canadian, you people are nice :biggrin:
Reply 19
Kelseyyy
We hate the american accent cos its annoying.
We think americans are stupid cos hello have you seen your government??

I think the American accent is better than how most people speak in Britain.
Our government isn't exactly the best in the world now, is it?

Latest