Turn on thread page Beta

Driving school watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Which driving school do you go to learn driving? How much does it cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Which driving school do you go to learn driving? How much does it cost?
    i go with drive craft and its £20 a lesson

i went with local instructer. £65 for 5 lessons

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna learn to drive in my gap year next year. Do you think BSM and safeway are good?

ReputationRep:
    I'm with a private instructor with an excellent reputation and he's such a teddy bear! I pay £20 a lesson.

ReputationRep:
    AA are cool :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I wonder should I ask my dad to teach me instead of paying for driving lessons. If I do that, I just need to take the driving test and the theory test then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    I wonder should I ask my dad to teach me instead of paying for driving lessons. If I do that, I just need to take the driving test and the theory test then.
    no don't do that!!

It must be scary ***** being in the same car as a learner, without dual control (brakes, clutch), and especially if he's never done it before. You should have many lessons before practicing outside of lessons.

You could though get started by starting to read a drivers manual

ReputationRep:
    Alrite, fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    I was with BSM and they charge about £20 per lesson, however i found that they just make you have loads of lessons and introduce stuff really slowly, plus they only let u have lessons in 2hr slots, so you have to have 2 hrs per week and it adds up to loads. It would probably be better to have a few lessons with a instructor, then when your good at driving just practice with your dad.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by trev)
    I did that (his idea!) and he totally put me off driving for a year. He told me when you stop you press the clutch down before the break, and he never told me how to do anything but would yell "that was bloody awful!" when I did anything wrong.

I hope your dad is better than mine.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd avoid the franchises such as BSM or AA as they charge way over what is expected and in my experience you may get a different instructor for each lesson. It's probably better to go for a local smaller company where prices are lower and where you get to establish continuity with regards to your instructors teaching style.

(Original post by trev)
    thats the worst thing 2 do (unless ur dads a drivin examiner or summit). youl get loads of bad hibits (not checkin mirrors etc etc)

if i was 2 take my test again, id end up with hundreds of minors and serious faults. and throw in a dangerous after 5 mins....

ReputationRep:
    can't you guys already drive? my dad taught me when i was 10!

ReputationRep:
    I guess I should spend some money instead of asking my dad to teach me how to drive.

(Original post by trev)
    I guess I should spend some money instead of asking my dad to teach me how to drive.
    yes. altho once u feel more confident you could take extra lessons with you dad. altho insurance will prob kill u

ReputationRep:
    I just want to learn to drive in my gap year, so I could buy my own car in the future/few years time. Hopefully, the insurance would be a bit cheaper than now.

ReputationRep:
    i have my driving lessons with a private instructor and its £17 an hour

ReputationRep:
    That is quite a reasonable price. What driving school you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    Dont think this has been mentioned.....

Have you not thought about the cost of insurance for your dad to teach you to drive? I have a full license and it would cost me £400 to be added onto my dads insurance. Think what it would be with a provisional!!

Id also agree with avoiding the AA and BSM (which stands for Bring Some Money) because they will give you a huge great big folder of information that you dont need and then they will make you sit at the side of the road in the lesson that youre paying for and go through the book. Plus they charge up to £25 per lesson depending on where you live.

I went with someone who had a car and an ADI license and that was it. Cost me £15 a lesson and it was great.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.