Sarah.J123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Over the past couple of months, My interest for psychology has been growing very much. However, because I had been downgraded in my science (My gcses got cancelled) I'm scared that it could it could stop me from applying for a psychology degree in university. I have gotten the right grades for my English and maths but I'm not too sure for my science. Can anyone help me? I'm currently doing Sociology, Philosophy and English if that can be of any help!
anon033
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Sarah.J123)
Over the past couple of months, My interest for psychology has been growing very much. However, because I had been downgraded in my science (My gcses got cancelled) I'm scared that it could it could stop me from applying for a psychology degree in university. I have gotten the right grades for my English and maths but I'm not too sure for my science. Can anyone help me? I'm currently doing Sociology, Philosophy and English if that can be of any help!
To do psych at university, I’m pretty sure you need 6s at GCSE to be able to do A levels which you need at least Bs and some As. I’m currently applying with UCAS and I’d look into subjects if I was you, as some courses require you to do certain A levels. Maths and English should be 6s too.
Sarah.J123
Rep:
?
Thanks oh so much for your reply! I’m happy to say that I have gotten those grades it’s just my science unfortunately I think it would be best for me to check entry requirements for unis.If a science gcse earn’tMentioned in the requirements,Would they look into it as much?
anon033
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thanks oh so much for your reply! I’m happy to say that I have gotten those grades it’s just my science unfortunately I think it would be best for me to check entry requirements for unis.If a science gcse earn’tMentioned in the requirements,Would they look into it as much?
If they’re not mentioned, probably not. They’re more focussed on A levels. But yeah, definitely check course requirements for uni so you know where you stand.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
They generally look for your maths grade-not seen many that ask for a science. If they don’t mention it in their requirements then you’re ok.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Psychology is a science. You'll need Science or Maths A levels.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Not all require a science A-level, however many will prefer some background in the area, and most of the "top" universities offering such degrees will require one or more science A-levels as their courses tend to be much more focused on the scientific and experimental aspects of psychology. However some courses which emphasise e.g. clinical aspects more may not be so proscriptive in that way.
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
For most 'top' Unis you'll need appropriate science A levels and a decent GCSE Maths grade.

On the other hand you can get into Plymouth without any sciences at all and they dont worry about Maths GCSE either - https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/u...bsc-psychology
Sarah.J123
Rep:
?
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
They generally look for your maths grade-not seen many that ask for a science. If they don’t mention it in their requirements then you’re ok.
(Original post by anon033)
If they’re not mentioned, probably not. They’re more focussed on A levels. But yeah, definitely check course requirements for uni so you know where you stand.
(Original post by anon033)
To do psych at university, I’m pretty sure you need 6s at GCSE to be able to do A levels which you need at least Bs and some As. I’m currently applying with UCAS and I’d look into subjects if I was you, as some courses require you to do certain A levels. Maths and English should be 6s too.
Thank you guys this has helped me a lot!
Last edited by Sarah.J123; 8 months ago
Sarah.J123
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Not all require a science A-level, however many will prefer some background in the area, and most of the "top" universities offering such degrees will require one or more science A-levels as their courses tend to be much more focused on the scientific and experimental aspects of psychology. However some courses which emphasise e.g. clinical aspects more may not be so proscriptive in that way.
Thank you I’ll look into this!
Sarah.J123
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
For most 'top' Unis you'll need appropriate science A levels and a decent GCSE Maths grade.

On the other hand you can get into Plymouth without any sciences at all and they dont worry about Maths GCSE either - https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/u...bsc-psychology
This will be a big help thank you!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Thank you I’ll look into this!
I would note though that all BPS accredited psychology degrees (which is a requirement if you wish to go into clinical psychology later) have a fair amount of scientific and statistical content, so you need to be prepared to study and pass this content in order to pursue that degree area. If for example you never wanted to study any kind of science or do any kind of maths again, psychology is not a good option!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
My daughter did a Psychology BSc at Lancaster with A levels in Psychology, History & Economics and found the maths/science content very manageable so not all courses are that scientific/mathematical although they all contain stats. Most of them count Psychology A level as a Science for the purposes of entry requirements plus things like Geography but your problem is you aren't doing any "science" A levels at all. However, not all unis seem to require a science A level so you could pick your course carefully - note that they all require maths GCSE at grade B/6

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/un...bsc-hons-c800/

https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/under...psychology-bsc

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy...Psychology-BSc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
5.85%
Uncertainty around my education (93)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (84)
10.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (104)
12.68%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
4.88%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.49%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (90)
10.98%
Financial worries (57)
6.95%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (38)
4.63%
Exposure to negative news/social media (52)
6.34%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.05%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (79)
9.63%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (65)
7.93%

Watched Threads