username5161354
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Don’t want to do a masters, just a BSc. My UCAS predicted grades are AAA*. I didn’t do further maths or any additional maths exams required for some university entries. Obviously my predicted grades are quite high, yet I can’t find anywhere that wants these high grades without further maths. Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
Advertisement
minalaurelle
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! I applied two weeks ago for a maths bsc without further maths to Exeter, Lancaster, Bristol, Edinburgh and St Andrews. I've got offers from Exeter, Lancaster and Bristol already (although the offers are very high), and I'm still waiting on Edin and St Andrews (my tops).
From the universities I looked at quite a lot don't require further maths, (just a lot of the best ones do) since technically not all sixth forms offer further maths as an A-Level.
Other unis I looked at that didn't need further maths (and are still high in the league tables) are Leeds, Nottingham, Aberdeen and Loughbourough.
Good luck
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by minalaurelle)
Hi! I applied two weeks ago for a maths bsc without further maths to Exeter, Lancaster, Bristol, Edinburgh and St Andrews. I've got offers from Exeter, Lancaster and Bristol already (although the offers are very high), and I'm still waiting on Edin and St Andrews (my tops).
From the universities I looked at quite a lot don't require further maths, (just a lot of the best ones do) since technically not all sixth forms offer further maths as an A-Level.
That isn't true in the UK ...
username5161354
Rep:
?
Other unis I looked at that didn't need further maths (and are still high in the league tables) are Leeds, Nottingham, Aberdeen and Loughbourough.
Good luck
Another thing to bear in mind is I don’t have a ‘maths related subject’ - complete bs as psychology and business studies are very much maths related, yet unis don’t consider these maths related. That’s why I couldn’t apply to Bristol Anyway it’s great to actually hear from someone who’s applied this year so thank you so much for this! X
Interea
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most unis don't require further maths to be honest - I dropped out of my last uni as I was finding the course too easy so this time I've looked for ones that require further maths (so hopefully a bit more challenging), and there really weren't that many to pick from! Last time round I applied to Leeds, Birmingham, Nottingham, Bath and Warwick (with Warwick being the only one looking for further maths) and also looked at Exeter, Durham, Lancaster, Bristol and Sheffield, and I don't recall many of them wanting further maths - and they were all lovely unis, so lots of great options.
Advertisement
minalaurelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by blueberrybowl)
Another thing to bear in mind is I don’t have a ‘maths related subject’ - complete bs as psychology and business studies are very much maths related, yet unis don’t consider these maths related. That’s why I couldn’t apply to Bristol Anyway it’s great to actually hear from someone who’s applied this year so thank you so much for this! X
I applied to Bristol with economics as my 'maths- related subject', so I just checked the requirements and Business studies does count! (not psychology though, which is weird)
minalaurelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
That isn't true in the UK ...
That's the reason they gave me at open days in universities, but I guess most sixth forms probably do offer it, its just the weird cases were no one takes it initially so they don't offer it to the year group, and then if you want to take it later you can't, or in my case I couldn't take it because there was a timetabling issue and I had a clash with Econ so I had to drop it etc
Advertisement
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's the reason they gave me at open days in universities, but I guess most sixth forms probably do offer it, its just the weird cases were no one takes it initially so they don't offer it to the year group, and then if you want to take it later you can't, or in my case I couldn't take it because there was a timetabling issue and I had a clash with Econ so I had to drop it etc
Every school in the UK can access F Maths tuition for any number of students e.g. just one, through AMSP https://amsp.org.uk/
minalaurelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Every school in the UK can access F Maths tuition for any number of students e.g. just one, through AMSP https://amsp.org.uk/
Oh cool
I wish I knew that existed in yr 12
Advertisement
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh cool
I wish I knew that existed in yr 12
It's advertised to every school ...
username5161354
Rep:
?
So currently my options are:
Portsmouth
Reading
Southampton
Sussex
Winchester
Are these good unis for maths?
Advertisement
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Portsmouth
Reading
Southampton
Sussex
Winchester
Of those only Southampton or Reading is worth a look - look at Exeter or Leeds ...
username5161354
Rep:
?
Of those only Southampton or Reading is worth a look - look at Exeter or Leeds ...
I don’t really want to go as far as Leeds tbh. Exeter seems good but I ruled that out as it was a bit rural, but I might consider replacing one of my options with Exeter so thank you
Advertisement
Shadow~
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What about QMUL, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham, Leeds and Surrey
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t really want to go as far as Leeds tbh. Exeter seems good but I ruled that out as it was a bit rural, but I might consider replacing one of my options with Exeter so thank you
Exeter is not rural compared to Winchester which is a much smaller place... what about Nottingham?
username5161354
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shadow~)
What about QMUL, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham, Leeds and Surrey
Looked at Surrey, thought there weren’t many module options and their entry requirements weren’t too high. Warwick I think needs higher grades than my predicted grades + FM. All others are in dodgy af places. And I can only dream of being able to afford accomodation in London for QMUL lol. But thanks for the suggestions they’re something to think about and look into at least
adichemist
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Portsmouth
Reading
Southampton
Sussex
Winchester
Try Sheffield, Manchester etc as they're both great for stem. Oh and Imperial
Advertisement
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by adichemist)
Imperial want FMaths and not a great student rep.
username5161354
Rep:
?
Exeter is not rural compared to Winchester which is a much smaller place... what about Nottingham?
Exeter is much further away from other places though and I currently live in the west country and quite frankly I’m not a fan. I kind of want to go to a university where I could build up my life and stay in the area really, so that’s why Exeter is off putting. Also Winchester is my least favourable option of all 5 lol. Nottingham is a bit far, I’d really like to stay south so I have my family nearby (well, nearby as they can possibly be). Plus I really haven’t heard great things about Nottingham like drug use etc :/
username5161354
Rep:
?
(Original post by adichemist)
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads