The Student Room Group

Any university recommendations for mathematics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
Imperial want FMaths and not a great student rep.

noice
Original post by blueberrybowl
Exeter is much further away from other places though and I currently live in the west country and quite frankly I’m not a fan. I kind of want to go to a university where I could build up my life and stay in the area really, so that’s why Exeter is off putting. Also Winchester is my least favourable option of all 5 lol. Nottingham is a bit far, I’d really like to stay south so I have my family nearby (well, nearby as they can possibly be). Plus I really haven’t heard great things about Nottingham like drug use etc :/

Really? Exeter is near the sea and the campus is great ... it's a nicer city than some of the others. Brighton isn't that safe either ...
Original post by Muttley79
Really? Exeter is near the sea and the campus is great ... it's a nicer city than some of the others. Brighton isn't that safe either ...

It’s so remote though. To get to the next big city you have to travel for about an hour or two! I’ve personally never been to Exeter but I’m sure it’s very similar to other cities along the south coast, which I do love. Do you think it’s worthwhile going to look around the area and campus even though I can’t go to an open day?
It’s so remote though. To get to the next big city you have to travel for about an hour or two! I’ve personally never been to Exeter but I’m sure it’s very similar to other cities along the south coast, which I do love. Do you think it’s worthwhile going to look around the area and campus even though I can’t go to an open day?

Yes - it doesn't take an hour to get to Taunton or Bristol! London is only a couple of hours by train ... it's a much nicer city than Southampton or Brighton or Bristol ... there is a virtual tour on the website.
Don’t want to do a masters, just a BSc. My UCAS predicted grades are AAA*. I didn’t do further maths or any additional maths exams required for some university entries. Obviously my predicted grades are quite high, yet I can’t find anywhere that wants these high grades without further maths. Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Hello :biggrin:
I'm a third year maths student at UoB, and while I did further maths at A level, none of my friends did. Most universities don't require further maths and while you can do extra exams like the STEP, most of the time they aren't required and won't harm your chances if you don't do them (the universities will make it very clear if it is an entrance requirement to complete these).
Here in Birmingham it wasn't necessary to do further maths because lots of the material taught at A level is repeated in a slightly different way in first year, so you won't be at a disadvantage. I have been told it is very similar with most universities too! Alongside your predicted grades, you shouldn't have too many problems finding good unis that want you :smile:
We have an AAA grade boundary, with an A in maths being necessary, which is similar to a lot of universities, so try not to worry too much!

If you have any questions please feel free!
Danielle :h:
Don’t want to do a masters, just a BSc. My UCAS predicted grades are AAA*. I didn’t do further maths or any additional maths exams required for some university entries. Obviously my predicted grades are quite high, yet I can’t find anywhere that wants these high grades without further maths. Any suggestions are highly appreciated!

Hey @blueberrybowl,

I'm a current student at Reading Uni. Whilst I don't study maths, Kira on unibuddy does. You might find it useful to speak to her about her experiences doing maths at Reading?
You can find Kira here: https://api.unibuddy.co/og/university-of-reading/buddies/students/5fa95184ef5b700ac0caac6f?buddyPosition=share

Some useful information...Reading Uni's mathematics degree meets the educational requirements of the Chartered Mathematician designation and 90% of students go on to work or further education within 15 months.

Academics aside, what I can tell you is what student life at Reading is like. We have a very vibrant nightlife and one of the largest student unions. We have a wide variety of societies to meet everyone's taste. You can see the list here https://www.rusu.co.uk/student-activities/societies/ Our campus is also really green and very nice to walk around especially Harris Gardens. You can see a virtual view of our campus here https://www.reading.ac.uk/virtual-experience/ From the 5th December Reading Uni will be offering hosted tours around campus on Saturday's.

You can book here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/visiting-and-open-days/campus-tours.aspx

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any other questions.
From,

Amina 😊

Quick Reply

Latest