I want to go to Sussex uni but the grades are abit high

Watch
Username8156
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I want to go to Sussex university but my offer is ABB or BBB if I make them my firm choice. Would anyone be able to tell me how lenient they are. I know it depends on popularity of the course, which is history in my case, but I want to know if there’s any chance I would be let in if I was slightly under my offer?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Username8156)
I want to go to Sussex university but my offer is ABB or BBB if I make them my firm choice. Would anyone be able to tell me how lenient they are. I know it depends on popularity of the course, which is history in my case, but I want to know if there’s any chance I would be let in if I was slightly under my offer?
You have until May to pick a firm choice.

Most universities will have offer holder days (in person or virtual) in February/March/April. This is the exact sort of question that you should ask at an offer holder day (if they don’t explain it to you as a normal part of the day).
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Subject/course?
Isinglass
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Subject/course?
It was there...
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
History is a subject I would expect to show some flexibility as it isn't hugely competitive but it depends how far under we are talking?

If you achieve grades close to BBB (assuming you Firm them) I would think it quite likely they would still accept you but no one can guarantee that of course
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As above - Humanities are mostly low-demand so its possible you may be okay as they will have spaces to fill and therefore may accept 'near miss'. The fact that its reduced offer if you go Firm makes this even more likely.

Sussex is a fabulous University - smaller, cosier with a lovely 'village' feel. And Brighton is a lovely place to be a student - lots to do, and seaside. If you really want to go to Sussex then that is great motivation to really go for the best grades you can get.
Username8156
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
As above - Humanities are mostly low-demand so its possible you may be okay as they will have spaces to fill and therefore may accept 'near miss'. The fact that its reduced offer if you go Firm makes this even more likely.

Sussex is a fabulous University - smaller, cosier with a lovely 'village' feel. And Brighton is a lovely place to be a student - lots to do, and seaside. If you really want to go to Sussex then that is great motivation to really go for the best grades you can get.
Thank you for the response. Yes Sussex sounds amazing and I’d love to go there. I’m definitely going to make them my firm choice and work for the grades. But I can’t help worrying about if I don’t quite get the grades. A lot of people say Sussex is quite lenient with grades. Hopefully that’s the case.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for the response. Yes Sussex sounds amazing and I’d love to go there. I’m definitely going to make them my firm choice and work for the grades. But I can’t help worrying about if I don’t quite get the grades. A lot of people say Sussex is quite lenient with grades. Hopefully that’s the case.
The reality is that most universities tend to be quite flexible. It changes every year so nobody really can be certain and things might be different this year. Like has already been said I suspect they will be quite flexible but it might end up just accepting BBC or BCC. I dont anticipate they will drop to say CDD though..
Username8156
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
The reality is that most universities tend to be quite flexible. It changes every year so nobody really can be certain and things might be different this year. Like has already been said I suspect they will be quite flexible but it might end up just accepting BBC or BCC. I dont anticipate they will drop to say CDD though..
So there’s not really any way of knowing until results day?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not really as things may change every year.. You could ask them or check clearing lists. If they are in clearing each year the likelyhood is they will accept drop grades. In 2019 Sussex were accepting BBC for Law in clearing and I suspect the same will apply for History but it can change.year by year.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They might tell you at an offer holder day or if you ask them. Or they might not be able to say if they usually have any flexibility.

If they DO have flexibility then generally your history grade would be most important ACD with an A in history might be more acceptable than BCC with a C in history. Again it’s the sort of thing only they could tell you. There’s no point in us guessing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (219)
55.87%
I don't have everything I need (173)
44.13%

Watched Threads