Army medical, mental health history

Watch
Sara.hill.909
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I was 100% honesty, as far as I could remember, with my medical history over the phone and I was told I'd passed the initial stage and could continue ith my application. I disclosed that I've had a period of PND for which I was prescribed medication. I never took it and disclosed this. In the same short space of time I was also offered a referral to a mental heath assessment, based off of a miscommunication surfing an appointment for my son. I wanted to see my health visitor for support with the baby not support for my mental health.

I also disclosed a period of anxiety back in 2015/2016while I was in school.

And about attending physio for a muscular skeletal issue that's caused me no problem since.

And about migraines while on the pill... Which I no longer have because I no longer take it.

And about the discussion of an diagnosis for autism. Which as far as I'm aware was never perused and was my mother's opinion... Which was at the same time as the anxiety.

And I still got through the initial telephone assessment.

Now they need my GP records and I'm terrified I've forgotten something, and if I have that they'll think I'm lying or something this isn't accurate like the medication or referrals will mean I'm rejected...

I'm really worried. Im only applying to join HR and Finance. Its not like I'll be killing with my bare hands. I've never been so set on wanting to do something, and it upsets me everyday watching my husband go to work in his uniform thinking I might never get that chance.

Idk what I want from this but has anyone- anyone at all - been accepted into a similar role dispite a history of mental health? I just want to be a pen pusher 😭 I'm not asking a lot. I've wanted to join the army since I was 14.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, people are accepted in the Armed Forces after mental health issues, but it is all on a case-by-case basis, and no 2 people will have the exact same history. You'll get told by other posters (veterans and current) than no-one, including the AFCO staff, can comment on how this will go for you, it's down to the medical professionals.

Checking GP records isn't unusual for the medical assessment; nothing to do with thinking you're lying, they want to get more detail on your diagnoses. And it doesn't matter to the military that you never took medication; the only consideration is that you had a condition that required a prescription. People often ask this about not using inhalers they were given, but if it's something where you have to be a number of years clear from a treatment, it's from the last date you were issued with it.

You join the Armed Forces as 'Warfighter first, job second', so whatever role you are applying for, you still have to be physically and mentally fit enough to take part in combat.

Be aware TSR has an Armed Forces Forum, under Careers and Jobs, but if you post on there take note of the security rules, like not using your name.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I wanted the gp to ass a note to my records the the medication was never taken (primarily so that if I ever admitted they don't mistakenly think I am taking medication I'm not), thus is well within my rights as a patient according to the NHS constitution 2013(studying hsc has its benifit)... But because of covid haven't been able to be put in contact with the corrrct people to add that note.

So I'm wondering would they at Antony contact me and discuss anything further with me, because gp records aren't gospel.... I got through the telephone assessment surely if the medication would be an issue they'd decline me there and then? And surely they can take into account that post natal illness is completely separate to regular depression especially when you take into account covid restrictions? and the prescription was made over the telephone without ever seeing me or discussing any other options simply Because covid means there us little access to much else...
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As I've said, not taking medication doesn't negate the fact that it was prescribed in the first place a doctor who decided you needed it to treat something, and you nay have gone against medical advice by not taking it.

It's not an immediate pass/fail situation. You can pass a medical assessment straight away, fail it for something that will stop you joining under any circumstances (Permanently Medically Unfit - PMU), or they will make you Temporarily Medically Unfit (TMU) while they ask for more information; you are in the latter category because they need to look in more depth at your diagnoses and prescriptions, such as the reasons for health conditions, how many you had, how long they lasted for. Nothing you can do at the moment but wait it out. The Army Recruitment website states the requirements and what can delay or stop your application.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As far as I'm aware, policy or no policy, it is near impossible to get into the HM Forces, GCHQ or other intelligence agencies if you've got a history of mental illness and prescribed medication for it. However, I believe it is still possible to get SC clearance and maybe even DV clearance depending on the circumstances and in the private sector.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (139)
62.05%
I don't have everything I need (85)
37.95%

Watched Threads