Predicted grades should be scrapped

Watch
HelenA1512
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
They are useless. Everyone knows someone who got UNDER predicted because of teacher bias or OVER predicted because the students/parents argued with the teachers.

Most unis don’t even look at them, but some use it as first cut and ruins chances.

For medicine and other similar courses you have to take a 2 hour online multi-choice test in the summer and you get a score in 24 hours.
The training books and past papers were all free and online and the test was booked online, cost £65 (with bursaries/ concessions) and taken at home online.
It is the SAME test for all universities and for all students regardeless of background and accessible by all. A truly LEVEL PLAYING FIELD.

Why can’t they do that for EVERY course in Y12 for every course?
That way you would know whether you had a chance of getting Onto a course/uni and have a realistic idea of which uni to apply to.
The unis would know what your score was and your GCSEs and offer on that.

Brighton med school give interview offers on the BMAT score only, and Newcastle the same on your UCAT score. Nothing else. And it works. It’s FAIR.

A level results are in August, which is plenty of time to process final offers combining test and TRUE A level results before October start.
UCAS clearing manages it every year!

Predicted A levels make a mockery of hard work and true aspiration. They are so open to abuse of the system, which is why most universities don’t use them anyway. THEY CREATE a false sense of security.
concernedLMAO
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Agree. No idea why universities take them seriously when as you say they're largely down to parents arguing with teachers or being harsher on students they aren't fond of.
Anumu
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Sounds like someone got "under-predicted"
HelenA1512
Rep:
?
(Original post by concernedLMAO)
Agree. No idea why universities take them seriously when as you say they're largely down to parents arguing with teachers or being harsher on students they aren't fond of.
Thankyou!

And look at last year with so many predicted grades over the number of places, they’re filling up this years places.
Whereas if everyone had an equal test result, regardless of school, exam board, teachers etc, everyone gets an equal chance.
HelenA1512
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anumu)
Sounds like someone got "under-predicted"
No. I didn’t. But I saw a lot of students who got over-predicted and would take away fair chances for others.
HelenA1512
Rep:
?
(Original post by HelenA1512)
No. I didn’t. But I saw a lot of students who got over-predicted and would take away fair chances for others.
When you work really really hard and get a good mock result but end with the same predicted grade as someone who got 49% but their mum shouts a lot at the teachers. Not right for anyone.
1st superstar
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes please. Linear exams=predicted grades are nonsense
dylgeo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Predicted grades shouldn’t be used as a way for unis to make offers, as the grades are susceptible to corruption/bias, unfortunately that’s how it is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (26)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.89%
No I am happy with my choice (50)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.59%

Watched Threads