My job hunting blog

Watch
achieve526kk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ole you are not more failure i ever be over 30,000 application final stage interview and say PFO we dont want you this is totally soul destroying
erzrocks
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by achieve526kk)
Ole you are not more failure i ever be over 30,000 application final stage interview and say PFO we dont want you this is totally soul destroying
You have not made 30,000 applications. Why do you keep posting this for sympathy or troll reasons?
0le
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I completed my TFL video assessment, which included three questions. I did fairly well and gave what I thought were structured responses. I perhaps could have answered the final question better.

I was also surprised to learn that I have been invited to do a video assessment for Concentra Analytics. I definitely did poorly in the test, so I imagine everyone must struggle with it?

I tried looking for some more jobs, but it is slim pickings, although I was pretty tired this week so I did not put so much effort into completing more job applications.

================================ =============================
ACTIVE APPLICATIONS
Interview completed:
HS2
Video assessment (VA) completed:
Natwest (Passed VA)
BAE
TfL
Video assessment to complete:
Concentra Analytics
First Test passed:
KPMG
First Test completed:
Accenture
Application submitted:
Phastar

Once again I've continued doing some structures based work and also did a little bit more of my python project. The project his a stumbling block because I've realized I still need to refactor some code to improve the code structure. Figuring out a neat way to do this isn't easy. Either way, I've learned a lot from the project.
KaS4
Badges: 4
Report 1 week ago
Hi Ole, I think your commitment and determination is really impressive; with all the experience you have you will definitely find something soon. We're just a bit unlucky with the current climate I think! I was hoping you could answer a question about the tfl scheme - I saw you said you had three questions and was just wondering if your email said 2 like mine, and then there was an extra one in the actual thing? (I've applied to the GM scheme) Thanks p.s. congratulations on getting through!!
0le
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by KaS4)
Hi Ole, I think your commitment and determination is really impressive; with all the experience you have you will definitely find something soon. We're just a bit unlucky with the current climate I think! I was hoping you could answer a question about the tfl scheme - I saw you said you had three questions and was just wondering if your email said 2 like mine, and then there was an extra one in the actual thing? (I've applied to the GM scheme) Thanks p.s. congratulations on getting through!!
There were 3 questions in total. The email had said: "We have prepared two pre-recorded questions to you relating to the role, each of which you will be recorded answering.". This does not exclude the possibility of being asked questions which are not related to the role. Just practice typical interview questions and you will be fine. The time limit is the most difficult part of the assessment, not the questions themselves.
KaS4
Badges: 4
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 0le)
There were 3 questions in total. The email had said: "We have prepared two pre-recorded questions to you relating to the role, each of which you will be recorded answering.". This does not exclude the possibility of being asked questions which are not related to the role. Just practice typical interview questions and you will be fine. The time limit is the most difficult part of the assessment, not the questions themselves.
Okay, thank you - that makes sense! Good luck
Last edited by KaS4; 1 week ago
0le
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I heard back from HS2 this week and it was another rejection. I thought I'd be upset and angry for a long period of time but I have had so many rejections now that whilst I was disappointment and frustrated, it only lasted an hour or so. They claimed they would give feedback in a few weeks.

I submitted an application to another company, called Energy Systems Catapult. This is more an application of "hope for the best" since I really do not meet a substantial part of the requirements. However a friend of mine insisted I applied and I didn't have anything else for which I could apply.

I completed the video assessment for Concentra Analytics. They tell you the exact three questions they will ask in an email, so you know exactly what to expect. You are allowed to record up to three responses for each question and you have one minute to record an answer each time. At the end of the assessment, you can choose which of the three responses (if you recorded that many) that you want to submit for each question.

The assessment was not too bad but I just did not have sufficient time to really do enough homework for this company. To be honest, my motivation was lacking because I still feel quite triggered by the psychometric tests they gave in the sense that they really angered me. My microphone also had a slight hiss which I have not noticed before so I may need to buy a new headset.

The volunteering role is still on my mind. I have not heard back from the lady but at the same time, I am not entirely sure whether the library has reopened or not. So I will only chase it up if the restrictions reduce further. But it is definitely something that I need to do, if only just to build up some self-esteem.

Since I have not heard from from several companies, I have decided to just put them in my non-active list of applications. Unfortunately it is clear now that I need to submit more applications but I am still focused on making the right applications rather than worrying about how many I make.

ACTIVE APPLICATIONS
TfL
Concentra Analytics
================================ ================

NON-ACTIVE APPLICATIONS
Failed at interview/AC:
British Airways
NPL x2
Base 4
EY
AECOM
Mercedes F1
Avanti West Coast
Civil Service Stats 2
HS2
Passed video assessment, but did not make it for AC/interview:
BT
Passed video assessment(?) failed next test:
Barclays
Failed at video assessment:
GSK
Openreach
NHS Digital
Capgemini
HSBC
Test passed but failed to make next stage:
Civil Service Stats 1
Mott MacDonald 1a
Mott MacDonald 1b
Mott MacDonald 2
MBDA
FCA
Passed test but scheme closed:
Arup 1
Did test but scheme closed:
Nationwide
Failed at testing stage:
PwC (failed SJT)
Shell
Arcadis 1 (failed game test)
Arcadis 2 (failed game test)
WSP (failed game test)
P&G (failed SJT)
Stroud (failed general test)
UBS
Softwire (Did all coding questions)
Equinor
Civil Service Fast Stream (failed SJT)
BNP Paribas
Arup 2 (failed SJT)
Morgan Stanley (missed deadline)
Application rejected:
Expedia
Tandem Bank
BAE Systems 1
TTP
Energy Aspects
Datatonics
Blenheim Chalcot
Cisco 1
Cisco 2
OneWeb
MathWorks
Ryanair (LinkedIn)
ARA
Vattenfall
Tesco
PA Consulting
Airbus
Imperial College Lab Assistant
Freeminds (LinkedIn)
Owlstone Medical
Worley Parsons
Bechtel
Application submitted - no response:
Exponent
Kantar
Jeremy Gardner
Red Bull Racing
BRE
TipTop 1 (Agency)
TipTop 2 (Agency)
Arriva
ECM (Agency)
Monarch (Agency)
Atelier
Arm
Apple
Phastar
Application submitted, assessments completed - no response:
Accenture - (completed test, no new response)
KPMG - (first test completed, no new response)
BAE - (video assessment completed, no new response)
Natwest - (video assessment passed, no new response)

I have continued to do some statics this week and also did some precalculus work, however in the last few days I felt a bit ill so I have just rested a lot.
Last edited by 0le; 6 days ago
AlexDeSouza10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by 0le)
I heard back from HS2 this week and it was another rejection. I thought I'd be upset and angry for a long period of time but I have had so many rejections now that whilst I was disappointment and frustrated, it only lasted an hour or so. They claimed they would give feedback in a few weeks.

I submitted an application to another company, called Energy Systems Catapult. This is more an application of "hope for the best" since I really do not meet a substantial part of the requirements. However a friend of mine insisted I applied and I didn't have anything else for which I could apply.

I completed the video assessment for Concentra Analytics. They tell you the exact three questions they will ask in an email, so you know exactly what to expect. You are allowed to record up to three responses for each question and you have one minute to record an answer each time. At the end of the assessment, you can choose which of the three responses (if you recorded that many) that you want to submit for each question.

The assessment was not too bad but I just did not have sufficient time to really do enough homework for this company. To be honest, my motivation was lacking because I still feel quite triggered by the psychometric tests they gave in the sense that they really angered me. My microphone also had a slight hiss which I have not noticed before so I may need to buy a new headset.

The volunteering role is still on my mind. I have not heard back from the lady but at the same time, I am not entirely sure whether the library has reopened or not. So I will only chase it up if the restrictions reduce further. But it is definitely something that I need to do, if only just to build up some self-esteem.

Since I have not heard from from several companies, I have decided to just put them in my non-active list of applications. Unfortunately it is clear now that I need to submit more applications but I am still focused on making the right applications rather than worrying about how many I make.

ACTIVE APPLICATIONS
TfL
Concentra Analytics

NON-ACTIVE APPLICATIONS
Failed at interview/AC:
British Airways
NPL x2
Base 4
EY
AECOM
Mercedes F1
Avanti West Coast
Civil Service Stats 2
HS2
Passed video assessment, but did not make it for AC/interview:
BT
Passed video assessment(?) failed next test:
Barclays
Failed at video assessment:
GSK
Openreach
NHS Digital
Capgemini
HSBC
Test passed but failed to make next stage:
Civil Service Stats 1
Mott MacDonald 1a
Mott MacDonald 1b
Mott MacDonald 2
MBDA
FCA
Passed test but scheme closed:
Arup 1
Did test but scheme closed:
Nationwide
Failed at testing stage:
PwC (failed SJT)
Shell
Arcadis 1 (failed game test)
Arcadis 2 (failed game test)
WSP (failed game test)
P&G (failed SJT)
Stroud (failed general test)
UBS
Softwire (Did all coding questions)
Equinor
Civil Service Fast Stream (failed SJT)
BNP Paribas
Arup 2 (failed SJT)
Morgan Stanley (missed deadline)
Application rejected:
Expedia
Tandem Bank
BAE Systems 1
TTP
Energy Aspects
Datatonics
Blenheim Chalcot
Cisco 1
Cisco 2
OneWeb
MathWorks
Ryanair (LinkedIn)
ARA
Vattenfall
Tesco
PA Consulting
Airbus
Imperial College Lab Assistant
Freeminds (LinkedIn)
Owlstone Medical
Worley Parsons
Bechtel
Application submitted - no response:
Exponent
Kantar
Jeremy Gardner
Red Bull Racing
BRE
TipTop 1 (Agency)
TipTop 2 (Agency)
Arriva
ECM (Agency)
Monarch (Agency)
Atelier
Arm
Apple
Phastar
Application submitted, assessments completed - no response:
Accenture - (completed test, no new response)
KPMG - (first test completed, no new response)
BAE - (video assessment completed, no new response)
Natwest - (video assessment passed, no new response)

I have continued to do some statics this week and also did some precalculus work, however in the last few days I felt a bit ill so I have just rested a lot.
Hello,

I noticed your forum a while ago.

Getting a job is very difficult but continue to persevere and you'll get it.

Although I do not know about your background, I advice you to look into SEO London. They help people from low-socio economic background to get into jobs. I really do recommend them. They helped me massively. There is also Rare Recruitment, which I heard good things about.

Good luck!
0le
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by AlexDeSouza10)
Hello,

I noticed your forum a while ago.

Getting a job is very difficult but continue to persevere and you'll get it.

Although I do not know about your background, I advice you to look into SEO London. They help people from low-socio economic background to get into jobs. I really do recommend them. They helped me massively. There is also Rare Recruitment, which I heard good things about.

Good luck!
I appreciate the response.

I had a look at rare recruitment and SEO. First of all, it is really difficult to determine what exactly these companies do. I don't like their websites. At an educated guess it seems like they give advice to candidates to make "stronger applications" as well as provide access to events. It would probably help a lot of people.

However, I do not think those companies can help me personally. For starters, both of them seem focused on people with undergraduate degrees or masters, not recent PhD graduates. This is a problem in general - very few companies actually distinguish between the two.

Secondly, I have probably amassed more experience about job hunting than most graduates. I know how most of it all works now, with the exception of game assessments and motivational application questions. I've failed 9 interviews sure, but interviews are just as much about people liking you as well as your responses. I actually have a good idea of why I might be failing on that front.

Lastly, I personally find live networking and career events to be a waste of time. I do not really want to engage with random strangers and I am constantly worrying about my appearance. I prefer watching YouTube videos where the companies give talks at conferences or events but I can watch them in my own time, free from distractions.
Last edited by 0le; 6 days ago
Glogangk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi 0le, I really like your blog and just how well you are able to articulate your thoughts & experiences! Honestly, the process of job hunting isn’t seen that often & your journey has been something that is quite relatable for me

You’re definitely doing things right by being able to get to the interview stages. As I said I’ve been able to relate with that - even to getting to interview stages but it maybe not going as well as I thought. For me, the feedback I was given was to talk in more depth - I retouched my competency stories, practiced pitching, and also tried to let my personality come out much more while answering. You are right when you say it is also about them liking you, this can come through maybe by the questions asked at that end/ smiling or even getting them to talk a lot to the point they get personal or say a joke! (Although they might have to be very friendly as well but really just so they get a lasting impression of you).

What I'm trying to say is, I know you are doing a lot of things right with your application. I might say try a little switch in interview strategies (If you think necessary) to see what works.

One thing I know for sure is we are all going to be congratulating you in a bit and you'll be an employer's best gift!
0le
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I realized I forgot to add my new application to the list of current applications, so here is the updated list:

ACTIVE APPLICATIONS
TfL
Concentra Analytics
Application submitted:
Energy Systems Catapult

(Original post by Glogangk)
Hi 0le, I really like your blog and just how well you are able to articulate your thoughts & experiences! Honestly, the process of job hunting isn’t seen that often & your journey has been something that is quite relatable for me

You’re definitely doing things right by being able to get to the interview stages. As I said I’ve been able to relate with that - even to getting to interview stages but it maybe not going as well as I thought. For me, the feedback I was given was to talk in more depth - I retouched my competency stories, practiced pitching, and also tried to let my personality come out much more while answering. You are right when you say it is also about them liking you, this can come through maybe by the questions asked at that end/ smiling or even getting them to talk a lot to the point they get personal or say a joke! (Although they might have to be very friendly as well but really just so they get a lasting impression of you).

What I'm trying to say is, I know you are doing a lot of things right with your application. I might say try a little switch in interview strategies (If you think necessary) to see what works.

One thing I know for sure is we are all going to be congratulating you in a bit and you'll be an employer's best gift!
Yup you are right. The things I did differently for the HS2 interview were to write out some STAR based responses. I have never tried writing out responses before, so seeing it on paper at least helped me refine what I wanted to say. This time I also focused heavily on providing structured responses during the interview. I focused on short, succinct and detailed answers. I clearly stated "The situation was...", "The action was..." etc and also tried at the end to say what I learned from each situation.

I asked what I thought was a good question at the end and I thought I did very well on the "technical" exercise. I honestly do not know where I could have done significantly better but I will wait and see what they say when I get the feedback.
Last edited by 0le; 3 days ago
0le
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
I received the feedback from HS2. You can tell it is automated by the language used. Here it is:

The panel was most impressed with your approach to Making it happen. What we were looking for was:

Design and implementation of robust and fully functioning project plans

Strip away unnecessary blockers

Possession of a clear contingency plan to mitigate risk of unseen obstructions
An area where you could have done better at interview is Collaboration. What we were looking for was:

Facilitation of interaction between large groups of individuals/difficult stakeholders

Creation of shared ‘team concepts’ that are more powerful than individual ideas first contributed

Creation of a climate that values
No explanation of why those were my strengths or weaknesses nor how they related well (or not) to the answers that I gave. They then end the feedback with this:

Other areas to consider:

Tailoring your CV to the specific job requirements;

Adopting the STAR approach (Situation, Task, Action, Result) for competency-based
interviews.

You can access further resources at: hs2.org.uk/careers/application-process/

Best of luck in the future.

HS2 Resourcing Team
Well thanks HS2. I'll be sure to check my CV again :rolleyes:.

Honestly, I am frustrated when companies do not give feedback, but I have to accept it is not compulsory. But if a company does decide it will give feedback then they should do it properly and not do something so half-arsed and useless just to make themselves feel better as well as for the publicity. I feel I probably have more respect for companies that just own it and say "we cannot be bothered" than companies that pretend like they give a damn. So far I think only Avanti gave me useful feedback - personalised and meaningful, addressing each question raised. In the very distant past (before my PhD) TFL also did something similar although I do not know if they still do.

I am worried about my future now. Realistically I do not believe any of my current active applications will lead anywhere. I have still been feeling a little ill this last week, so I have done very little. I have had a look through some jobs today and honestly there are not that many jobs to which I can apply. I suspect it is going to be a long and boring summer ahead, with a lot of soul searching.
Last edited by 0le; 1 day ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (164)
4.87%
Uncertainty around my education (495)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (378)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (471)
13.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (162)
4.81%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (206)
6.11%
Loneliness (286)
8.49%
Financial worries (120)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (135)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (153)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (183)
5.43%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (301)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (315)
9.35%

Watched Threads