Midwifery - NHS Bursary and 'reduced' maintenance loan

Watch
Cluxly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi - can anyone please tell me if this is right? I'm currently working out whether or not I can actually afford to go to university to study midwifery. I know that I would receive a NHS grant of £5,000 plus £1,000 towards childcare. I assumed though that I would also be able to apply for the full maintenance loan, but have just seen this on this website:

Along with the NHS bursary, students can apply for a reduced rate maintenance loan to supplement your income: in 2020–21, £3,451 in London, £2,458 outside London and £1,845 for home

If this is right and the maintenance loan is only £2,458 then this means student midwives and nurses would be worse off than someone doing a non-NHS-funded degree and getting the full maintenance loan - is that right? I appreciate you don't have to pay the grant back, but that doesn't seem right. So my question is would I still receive the full maintenance loan on top of the NHS grant, or is it reduced as above?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Cluxly; 1 month ago
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cluxly)
Hi - can anyone please tell me if this is right? I'm currently working out whether or not I can actually afford to go to university to study midwifery. I know that I would receive a NHS grant of £5,000 plus £1,000 towards childcare. I assumed though that I would also be able to apply for the full maintenance loan, but have just seen this on this website:

Along with the NHS bursary, students can apply for a reduced rate maintenance loan to supplement your income: in 2020–21, £3,451 in London, £2,458 outside London and £1,845 for home

If this is right and the maintenance loan is only £2,458 then this means student midwives and nurses would be worse off than someone doing a non-NHS-funded degree and getting the full maintenance loan - is that right? I appreciate you don't have to pay the grant back, but that doesn't seem right. So my question is would I still receive the full maintenance loan on top of the NHS grant, or is it reduced as above?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, the NHS Grant and NHS Bursary are two different things.

Students who receive the old NHS Bursary can only receive a reduced rate maintenance loan.

Students receiving the NHS grant can receive the full maintenance loan. The NHS Grant does not affect your SFE funding.
Thanks, Isaac
Cluxly
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ah I see - that’s great. Thanks so much for clarifying!
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cluxly)
Ah I see - that’s great. Thanks so much for clarifying!
You're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (74)
17.7%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (121)
28.95%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (158)
37.8%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (52)
12.44%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed