The Student Room Group

A level decision

So I am in Year 11 and am starting to apply to sixth forms. I am applying to my local one which is in a disadvantaged area and I am disadvantaged so will that help me? I am worrying about what A levels to pick. I want to study law at university and I am currently debating between... History, Psychology (I did this at GCSE and really enjoy it), Politics, Maths, Drama and Sociology. What would you say is best to get into more prestigious universities? Thanks
Of those, History Politics and Maths would likely be the most respected, though only if you have the capacity to succeed in them.
Have a look at websites of the universities and courses you are interrsted in, they will tell you their entry requirements ie grades, subjects etc
Original post by robertgallacher
Of those, History Politics and Maths would likely be the most respected, though only if you have the capacity to succeed in them.

I am good at all of them but I don't really enjoy maths so that is why I am reluctant to do it. What about History, Psychology and Politics?
Original post by rebeccachaffe
I am good at all of them but I don't really enjoy maths so that is why I am reluctant to do it. What about History, Psychology and Politics?

Yeh that’s a good mix :smile: it’s more about your grades not the subject
Original post by hootdoot04
Yeh that’s a good mix :smile: it’s more about your grades not the subject

thanks
So I am in Year 11 and am starting to apply to sixth forms. I am applying to my local one which is in a disadvantaged area and I am disadvantaged so will that help me? I am worrying about what A levels to pick. I want to study law at university and I am currently debating between... History, Psychology (I did this at GCSE and really enjoy it), Politics, Maths, Drama and Sociology. What would you say is best to get into more prestigious universities? Thanks

History, psychology and politics sound good.
You could have maths as a back up option.
How about English literature?
Original post by Emma:-)
History, psychology and politics sound good.
You could have maths as a back up option.
How about English literature?

I was thinking Maths as a backup. I don't think I could do English Literature because I just don't find it interesting and would get really bored. I'm not getting great grades in that either :frown:
make sure you love your subjects as it's much easier to study when it gets harder
Original post by josie71202
make sure you love your subjects as it's much easier to study when it gets harder

I looked at the prospectus and all the topics look great :smile:
I looked at the prospectus and all the topics look great :smile:

awesome
I was thinking Maths as a backup. I don't think I could do English Literature because I just don't find it interesting and would get really bored. I'm not getting great grades in that either :frown:

Fair enough.
No point doing something you don't really enjoy or if it's not one of your strongest subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest