Full time student council tax

Watch
alevel2020crisis
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hiya, for my second year of uni I will be moving in with my boyfriend into a house he’s buying. We’re both full time students but he also works full time alongside uni. I’ve seen that students don’t pay council tax, would he still be classed as a full time student as he works full time too?
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by alevel2020crisis)
Hiya, for my second year of uni I will be moving in with my boyfriend into a house he’s buying. We’re both full time students but he also works full time alongside uni. I’ve seen that students don’t pay council tax, would he still be classed as a full time student as he works full time too?
How can he be classed as a full-time student and also work full time?
If you are both classed as a full-time student then you will need to get an exemption letter from your uni to send to the council so that you won't have to pay council tax.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by tjames988)
If you are both classed as a full-time student then you will need to get an exemption letter from your uni to send to the council so that you won't have to pay council tax.
Easily, you can be enrolled on a full time course and work more than 30 odd hours a week. The uni/employer re the ones attaching the labels.

I would suspect in this case the student exemption would take priority, the tax isn't income based.
alevel2020crisis
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Thanks for the reply, he attends uni full time and also works full time outside of his uni hours so he is simultaneously technically both a full time worker and a full time student if that makes sense? I’ve looked into the strict definition of a full time student on council tax pages etc and all it says is that you need to attend uni over a certain amount of hours a week and we both fall into that however it’s still unclear wether him working will make him not fall into the bracket.
tjames988
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for the reply, he attends uni full time and also works full time outside of his uni hours so he is simultaneously technically both a full time worker and a full time student if that makes sense? I’ve looked into the strict definition of a full time student on council tax pages etc and all it says is that you need to attend uni over a certain amount of hours a week and we both fall into that however it’s still unclear wether him working will make him not fall into the bracket.
I dont see a reason why he wouldn't, only way is to ask. As far as I'm aware the discount for attending university isn't dependent on your income or wealth. That being said it may differ by local authority so enquire with your council
martin7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The rules are here: https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/disco...-time-students

If he's a full-time student under those rules then he's exempt from paying council tax. There's nothing in those rules that make exceptions for people working over X number of hours per week or anything like that.
QuentinM
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't believe council tax is at all dependent on employment status, you still have to pay it if you are unemployed (with some exceptions, such as students).

I'd be 99% certain that you are fine, no council tax needs to be paid. If your landlord or the council ever ask, just ask your university for a letter declaring you are student and hence exempt from council tax
Rguise9191
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I dont see a reason why he wouldn't, only way is to ask. As far as I'm aware the discount for attending university isn't dependent on your income or wealth. That being said it may differ by local authority so enquire with your council
Did u have to pay council tax
as I may have a full time job and I’m a full time student also
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (307)
55.72%
I don't have everything I need (244)
44.28%

Watched Threads