what do oxbridge students do differently

Watch
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
what do Oxbridge students do differently that gets them into Oxbridge, and what do other students do differently that means they get rejected. eg. unjaded jade got all A*s and still got rejected....
KaziMahathir
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
From what I've heard, there is no silver bullet that will get you into Oxbridge. Oxford have released some interesting info on their selection criteria for medicine here: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...ments/criteria. I Imagine the selection criteria for Cambridge is similar.
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
(Original post by KaziMahathir)
From what I've heard, there is no silver bullet that will get you into Oxbridge. Oxford have released some interesting info on their selection criteria for medicine here: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...ments/criteria. I Imagine the selection criteria for Cambridge is similar.
thank youuu
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
what do Oxbridge students do differently that gets them into Oxbridge, and what do other students do differently that means they get rejected. eg. unjaded jade got all A*s and still got rejected....
Hi there!

Grades are only the start of a good application. Please find below a link to Oxford Demystified. All the subject chapters are written by TSRians who have made it to Oxford (except for mine and my son's chapters on medicine!

In each chapter they demonstrate exactly how they made it. Often they were state school students who were surprised to get a place. Whereas just about anyone who reads these chapters can see exactly why they got in.

If in any doubt, look at my comments after they have posted. I try and put together why I am impressed by their achievements, and what I think they have done right. If you read a few chapters, you will see a pattern emerging. Successful applicants to Oxbridge are similar on a surprising number of levels.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6100480
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by KaziMahathir)
This is precisely what Oxford medical tutors are looking for. I have never met an Oxford medical student I don't like.

When I first went to meet my son at Oriel (medical student) I heard he was studying with 4 other students. I expected to meet a load of braying old Etonian guys. Instead he was surrounded by four giggling girls, who seemed more like they were on a day trip from the local ex poly. If you saw them on the street you would never guess from their demeanour that they were Oxford medics.

Through the years, they have proved to be great friends to my son. In fact, in his first term, one of those girls actually saved his life, when he got appendicitis. She insisted in going to hospital with him. When the staff wanted to just give him some medication, and thought it wasn't serious, she went over and demanded they look at him again. They did, he was wheeled into theatre and before they even got there, his appendix burst. Without her there, who knows what would have happened?

About 30 years ago, I married a doctor. There were some who were really nice, but others who were quite arrogant. Thank goodness times have changed since then.
vix.xvi
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Hi there!

Grades are only the start of a good application. Please find below a link to Oxford Demystified. All the subject chapters are written by TSRians who have made it to Oxford (except for mine and my son's chapters on medicine!

In each chapter they demonstrate exactly how they made it. Often they were state school students who were surprised to get a place. Whereas just about anyone who reads these chapters can see exactly why they got in.

If in any doubt, look at my comments after they have posted. I try and put together why I am impressed by their achievements, and what I think they have done right. If you read a few chapters, you will see a pattern emerging. Successful applicants to Oxbridge are similar on a surprising number of levels.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6100480
thank you very much

i just looked through it, its very good
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
thank you very much

i just looked through it, its very good
Having spoken to all these students (at least via the books) I will never again look at an Oxbridge students and think "they're lucky". Luck doesn't come into it, at least not much (unless an interviewer asks you a question you unexpectedly know the answer to) .

Each and every one of them has earned their place, no matter what their background, and as such, they deserve to be admired.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't wish to appear to be deliberately contradicting Oxford Mum, but personally, I do believe an element of luck - or at least, variable factors over which you have no control - is involved when it comes to Oxbridge admissions. Certainly at the point of entry to the uni, there often isn't a great deal of difference in calibre between candidates who secured an offer and those who were interviewed but didn't. It's not that those who somehow got an offer are mystical beings with superpowers, or even that all of them could be given a "genius" label, or that they are necessarily any cleverer than those who were rejected. They just happened to be the best of the lot that particular year, for that particular cohort. Who knows whether they'd have fared the same/better/worse in another year? Or if they had been interviewed at a different college?

Certainly a lot of skill and intellect is involved, but luck plays a part too, imho :yep: In any case, it's not about getting all A*s at A Level (unless that's what your offer demands). There's so much more to it than that. I've never watched any of unjaded jade's videos - or indeed any of these Oxbridge-related YouTubers - but putting oneself out there so publicly always runs the risk of backfiring, imho :ninja:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (50)
17.92%
No one else does (87)
31.18%
I'm embarrassed about my background (29)
10.39%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (94)
33.69%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.15%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.15%

Watched Threads