What is my nationality?

Watch
Waleed Elnaim
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Ok so I wasn't born in Britain. Matter of fact I was born in the Middle East(UAE to be specific). My mom was born in Birmingham after her parents moved from Sudan to there, so she's British ig. My dad was born in Sudan. I had UAE residency until I moved "back"(not really back because i wasn't born here) to Britain in 2018. But my nationality, because of some laws by Labour in the 2000s, is apparently British because this is the only country I'm a citizen in. so is that my nationality??? it cant be emaratii or sudanese because they don't work like that and i wasn't born in sudan.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Waleed Elnaim)
Ok so I wasn't born in Britain. Matter of fact I was born in the Middle East(UAE to be specific). My mom was born in Birmingham after her parents moved from Sudan to there, so she's British ig. My dad was born in Sudan. I had UAE residency until I moved "back"(not really back because i wasn't born here) to Britain in 2018. But my nationality, because of some laws by Labour in the 2000s, is apparently British because this is the only country I'm a citizen in. so is that my nationality??? it cant be emaratii or sudanese because they don't work like that and i wasn't born in sudan.
Do you have a current British passport which accords you with citizenship and rights of abode?

Did your mother hold a British passport which accorded citizenship to her at the time of your birth and does she still hold that passport?

Were you parents married in the UK and registered under British law at the time of your birth?

"Among the 6 forms of British nationality, only British Citizens have the automatic right of abode in the United Kingdom, Isle of Man and Channel Islands, all the others don't have an automatic right to enter and live in the UK at all."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law

Because you said you moved to the UK in 2018 and only say your mother was born in the UK, it seems like you may not automatically be a UK citizen until you are 'naturalised'. Your father would confer citizenship of Sudan through his own nationality and they you were born in Sudan.

Extracts from wiki entries:

British citizenship by descent
"British citizenship by descent" is the category for children born outside the UK or an Overseas Territory to a British citizen. Rules for acquiring British citizenship by descent depend on when the person was born.

"From 1983
A child born outside the UK, Gibraltar or the Falkland Islands on or after 1 January 1983 (or outside another British Overseas Territory on or after 21 May 2002) automatically acquires British citizenship by descent if either parent is a British citizen otherwise than by descent at the time of the child's birth.

At least one parent must be a British citizen otherwise than by descent.
As a general rule, an unmarried father cannot pass on British citizenship automatically in the case of a child born before 1 July 2006. If the parents marry subsequent to the birth, the child normally becomes a British citizen at that point if legitimated by the marriage and the father was eligible to pass on British citizenship. If the unmarried British father was residing in a country that treated (at the date of birth of the child born before 1 July 2006) a child born to unmarried parents in the same way as a child born to married parents, then the father passed on British citizenship automatically to his child, even though the child was born before 1 July 2006 to unmarried parents.[17] Such countries are listed in the UK Home Office Immigration and Passport Services publication "Legitimation and Domicile".[18]
Where the parent is a British citizen by descent, additional requirements apply. In the most common scenario, the parent is normally expected to have lived in the UK for three consecutive years and apply to register the child as a British citizen while the child is a minor (clause 43, Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act 2009, effective from 13 January 2010). Prior to this date, the age limit was 12 months."
Last edited by uberteknik; 6 months ago
martin7
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Waleed Elnaim)
I had UAE residency until I moved "back"(not really back because i wasn't born here) to Britain in 2018. But my nationality, because of some laws by Labour in the 2000s, is apparently British because this is the only country I'm a citizen in. so is that my nationality??? it cant be emaratii or sudanese because they don't work like that and i wasn't born in sudan.
When you entered Britain in 2018, what passport did you use? What does that passport say your nationality is?

It's possible that you also have (or are entitled to claim) other citizenships depending on what citizenship(s) your parents have, and where you were born. That will depend on the laws of the countries concerned.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (83)
26.27%
England (108)
34.18%
Belgium (27)
8.54%
Germany (37)
11.71%
Spain (5)
1.58%