Meredithmaybe
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I am making an ADME profile for prednisolone and have managed to find all my information on how it shows anti-inflammatory effects but cannot find how the tablet form of the drug is metabolised in the body and how P450 plays a role into this as well as how this is excreted. I understand it is excreted via urine but anything more would be helpful. If anyone can explain the process or guide me to a source which has that information. I have been researching this for a good while now and am quite desperate. Any help would be great.
Emily in Paris
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you go to the emc website and look up prednisolone tablets, it'll show you a bunch of documents. If you click on SPC (Summary of Product Characteristics) and scroll down to renal/hepatic elimination, it should tell you all the pharmacokinetics side of things, including CYP450 metabolism, half life , protein binding and renal excretion.

You should also be able to find indeepth literature and PD/PK study figures on pubmed. But for quick PK parameters, go to emc and get the SPC.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Emily in Paris; 1 month ago
Meredithmaybe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily in Paris)
If you go to the emc website and look up prednisolone tablets, it'll show you a bunch of documents. If you click on SPC (Summary of Product Characteristics) and scroll down to renal/hepatic elimination, it should tell you all the pharmacokinetics side of things, including CYP450 metabolism, half life , protein binding and renal excretion.

You should also be able to find indeepth literature and PD/PK study figures on pubmed. But for quick PK parameters, go to emc and get the SPC.

Hope this helps
Hey, thank you so much for the advice the website has already been so much help. I was wondering if you were finding the renal/hepatic elimination section on any specific medication as I cannot seem to find it. If you could help me at all there that would be great. Thank you again.
Emily in Paris
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No worries what do you mean specific medication?

So every SPC is specific for one particular drug and every drug SPC will have a section on renal/ hepatic elimination- is this what you mean?
Meredithmaybe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emily in Paris)
No worries what do you mean specific medication?

So every SPC is specific for one particular drug and every drug SPC will have a section on renal/ hepatic elimination- is this what you mean?
So when I search for prednisolone tablets a few different drugs and dosages come up and clicking through them I have not been able to find the renal/ hepatic elimination subheading. So I was wondering if you found that section under a specific type of prednisolone eg. Prednisolone 10mg
Emily in Paris
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
think you can just click on either one of the strengths, pred tabs come in 1mg, 5 mg, maybe 10mg can't remember on the top of my head but I reckon the SPC information will be the same.

go to the pharmacokinetics section and have a read. it's got a general summary on clearance and renal and liver metabolism and you can research more in deepth information via pubmed, drug bank or other literature.

You usually won't find all the information you need in one source. You need to read a few different sources to understand the full picture.

hope this helps
Emily in Paris
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
also subheadings are not called renal/hepatic elimination, but there will be a section on that, most drugs will have a 'subheading' on clearance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (199)
57.68%
I don't have everything I need (146)
42.32%

Watched Threads