The Student Room Group

history and geography or both? - gcse options

Poll

history and geography or both? - gcse options

I'm year 9 now and i have to choose my options really soon, i want to take history and geography because i enjoy them both but should i?

and what about rs gcse does anyone recommend it?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi. Choosing your options can be very hard, both history and geography are hard subjects. Deciding if you want to do both is up to you. No one can really decide for you because it depends if your really up for that challenge and if you show interest in both of the subjects. If truly believe your capable for the challenge of doing both of the subject, I saw go for it. 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by justBijal
I'm year 9 now and i have to choose my options really soon, i want to take history and geography because i enjoy them both but should i?

and what about rs gcse does anyone recommend it?

It’s honestly up to you, but both subjects are very content heavy. As someone who is doing gcse geography I’m gonna say that geography is not easier than history, but subjects are hard in their own way. With geography there are so many case studies you would need to learn, not to mention all the transformations of say like waterfalls and the fieldwork too. There are quite a lot of questions in the exam and they are heavy marked, including the 4 marker. Btw I’m not trying to discourage you, I’m only telling you what you’d expect in the coming 2 years. Imo both subjects are interesting in their own way and if you want to do it then it’s up to. As for RS I’m not entirely sure since I did not pick it for my GCSEs.
Reply 3
I took both of these subjects and in my opinion history is a lot more intense and a lot harder to gain marks on without precise knowledge. If you have the motivation and you genuinely find it interesting, history is a really great subject and you also develop loads of really good skills. I've always found geography a very easy subject but there are such a range of topics that it can be difficult to retain interest; to explain this, my school chose to do a topic on coasts which was the dullest part of the course.

I must also add that the gap between history GCSE and the first few years you learn in secondary school is incredibly different, at least it was for me.

If you really enjoy both subjects, I would take them. At the end of the day, enjoying the subject is going to make it a lot easier to endure.

Quick Reply

Latest