The Student Room Group

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ciarabowden
I have a m&S interview next week. Does anyone have any tips? What questions will they ask? Everything I find on here is very outdated.

Hey, they will usually say :
“Tell me about yourself” ( talking about your cv the experiences you have and just highlight your skills)
why do you want to work for M&S”
(I suggest you researching about the company and their ethos, and who their main competitor are and why M&S stand out against them - don’t bash the other stores in the process)
what is your availability”
(It’s best to say you see flexible and happy to do the required hours )
what would you do if a customer had a complaint”
( just say you’d take the time to listen, repeat the key points back to the customer and then help them out)
Do you have any questions for us”
( please please please ask at the very least 2 questions !!! To your interviewer and seem keen )
I hope this helps xx
Reply 2
I have a m&S interview next week. Does anyone have any tips? What questions will they ask? Everything I find on here is very outdated.

Don't try to prepare loads - perhaps read up a little bit on what you may like about the company specifically. At my interview (last year - September) they just asked me for examples of when I did X (e.g. settled a conflict) and what I would do if there was an issue such as a till malfunction when there was a long queue. It's more of a chat to see what you would be like in potential situations to get a feel of how good you would be as a customer assistant - really nothing stressful.
Reply 3
Original post by alias12
Don't try to prepare loads - perhaps read up a little bit on what you may like about the company specifically. At my interview (last year - September) they just asked me for examples of when I did X (e.g. settled a conflict) and what I would do if there was an issue such as a till malfunction when there was a long queue. It's more of a chat to see what you would be like in potential situations to get a feel of how good you would be as a customer assistant - really nothing stressful.

Thank you so much. Ive heard a lot about this role play interview where the interviewer is pretending to be a customer etc. Did you do this?
Reply 4
Original post by Tlouise
Hey, they will usually say :
“Tell me about yourself” ( talking about your cv the experiences you have and just highlight your skills)
why do you want to work for M&S”
(I suggest you researching about the company and their ethos, and who their main competitor are and why M&S stand out against them - don’t bash the other stores in the process)
what is your availability”
(It’s best to say you see flexible and happy to do the required hours )
what would you do if a customer had a complaint”
( just say you’d take the time to listen, repeat the key points back to the customer and then help them out)
Do you have any questions for us”
( please please please ask at the very least 2 questions !!! To your interviewer and seem keen )
I hope this helps xx

Thank you so much! this is a great help x
Reply 5
I had one on Wednesday and it wasn't as bad as expected. I found the listing on Indeed and it said I would do a roleplay but I didn't in the interview. The interview was quite relaxed. The questions that I remember were:
What can you bring to M&S/why are you the best for this job? I wasn't expecting this question really but I just said I am a hardworker, a team player, not afraid of a challenge and friendly.
What do you think would be the most challenging thing about this job? I said because it's nearly Christmas that it is probably busy but that you just have to get on with the job. I also said that rude customers could be challenging but that you should just try your best to please them and remain friendly and professional.
Tell me about a challenge you have faced when working in a team. I gave an example of a recent group project I'd been doing for uni and said the person I was working with was struggling with the work so I helped him and also tried to make him feel more confident by telling him all the things he was doing right.

He also asked me about working with food (I applied for womenswear) and I was kind of confused by the question because I think he asked me something like what experience do I have with food and I don't have any and ended up saying I like food lol but he just wanted to know if I have experience and I was honest and said I don't. I still don't really know why he asked me that, I think it was to see if I could work in the cafe or something..
He then asked me about my schedule and what kind of hours I'd be interested in doing. I wrote down when I'm available so you could do that too if you think you'll forget. I got the impression that he wanted me to be able to work a lot so I just said I was happy to pick up hours whenever possible (he actually suggested 37 hours but I had to say noooo way lol). He also asked how I planned to get to work too.

The interview was more like a chat, it was quite informal and I did feel nervous when I went into the shop but once I sat down I was ok. If you are successful I think they tell you there and then as he offered me the job straight away. It surprised me actually as I thought they would want to interview more people and then choose the best ones. I'm glad I got the job but sooo nervous for the induction. I hope your interview goes well. Mine was for customer assistant in womenswear btw. The part I was most nervous about was actually going into the shop because it said to find a member of staff and tell them you're there for an interview so I was worried there wouldn't be anyone there but there were plenty of staff and they were all really friendly.
Reply 6
Original post by hughezy
I had one on Wednesday and it wasn't as bad as expected. I found the listing on Indeed and it said I would do a roleplay but I didn't in the interview. The interview was quite relaxed. The questions that I remember were:
What can you bring to M&S/why are you the best for this job? I wasn't expecting this question really but I just said I am a hardworker, a team player, not afraid of a challenge and friendly.
What do you think would be the most challenging thing about this job? I said because it's nearly Christmas that it is probably busy but that you just have to get on with the job. I also said that rude customers could be challenging but that you should just try your best to please them and remain friendly and professional.
Tell me about a challenge you have faced when working in a team. I gave an example of a recent group project I'd been doing for uni and said the person I was working with was struggling with the work so I helped him and also tried to make him feel more confident by telling him all the things he was doing right.

He also asked me about working with food (I applied for womenswear) and I was kind of confused by the question because I think he asked me something like what experience do I have with food and I don't have any and ended up saying I like food lol but he just wanted to know if I have experience and I was honest and said I don't. I still don't really know why he asked me that, I think it was to see if I could work in the cafe or something..
He then asked me about my schedule and what kind of hours I'd be interested in doing. I wrote down when I'm available so you could do that too if you think you'll forget. I got the impression that he wanted me to be able to work a lot so I just said I was happy to pick up hours whenever possible (he actually suggested 37 hours but I had to say noooo way lol). He also asked how I planned to get to work too.

The interview was more like a chat, it was quite informal and I did feel nervous when I went into the shop but once I sat down I was ok. If you are successful I think they tell you there and then as he offered me the job straight away. It surprised me actually as I thought they would want to interview more people and then choose the best ones. I'm glad I got the job but sooo nervous for the induction. I hope your interview goes well. Mine was for customer assistant in womenswear btw. The part I was most nervous about was actually going into the shop because it said to find a member of staff and tell them you're there for an interview so I was worried there wouldn't be anyone there but there were plenty of staff and they were all really friendly.

congratulations on getting the Job !
Reply 7
Original post by hughezy

omg thank you so much for this, I feel a lot better now. they didn't mention the role play in my email so hopefully I'm not gonna do it lol. congrats on getting the job!!!
Reply 8
Original post by Tlouise
congratulations on getting the Job !

Thanks!
Reply 9
omg thank you so much for this, I feel a lot better now. they didn't mention the role play in my email so hopefully I'm not gonna do it lol. congrats on getting the job!!!

Thanks and good luck, I'm glad this helped
Reply 10
Thank you so much. Ive heard a lot about this role play interview where the interviewer is pretending to be a customer etc. Did you do this?

I did, however it wasn't the interviewer but another (current) colleague who led training. The interviewer sat back and observed. It wasn't particularly worrying - it's just a test to see how you would approach a customer, interact with them and help them if they had multiple requests.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending