The Student Room Group

AQA psychology vs AQA sociology a level

I can’t chose which one to do as a third a level, I find human behaviour fascinating and psychology and sociology both revolve around human behaviour. I’d be doing the subject alongside biology and geography, and I’ve heard that psychology complements the content in biology, while sociology complements the human content in geography. Can anyone tell me which one is easier, which one is more interesting, and which one is more useful (in daily life and in university applications)?
Hi, I do both sociology and psychology at A level. Do you have any particular university course in mind that you are aiming to apply to?

AQA psychology has a whole topic based mainly on the biology side called biopsychology. This complements regular biology well. Although, sociology does require more essay based skills than psychology as it has more long answer questions. For example, 20/30 markers whereas in psychology the longest question is only 16 marks. I'd think about what your strong suits are when it comes to exams.
Reply 2
Original post by Random_101
Hi, I do both sociology and psychology at A level. Do you have any particular university course in mind that you are aiming to apply to?

AQA psychology has a whole topic based mainly on the biology side called biopsychology. This complements regular biology well. Although, sociology does require more essay based skills than psychology as it has more long answer questions. For example, 20/30 markers whereas in psychology the longest question is only 16 marks. I'd think about what your strong suits are when it comes to exams.

Yes I’d like to do zoology/ecology. To do that I need biology alongside another science related subject (geography counts in most universities) so I’m choosing my third based on what I enjoy/is interesting rather than to prepare me for university.
I think both subjects have something interesting in their own way. Like sociology has crime and deviance but your school might choose to do forensic psychology as one of the optional modules. Try talking to your teachers and see what they say. Right now, I prefer psychology to sociology

Quick Reply

Latest