The Student Room Group

Corporate law Problem question - 1st year BBL

Hi I have to answer a problem for contract law. Just needed a bit of help.
- like what cases can I use apart from Carill v carbolic smoke ball.
And can this be considered as a sales puffery or unilateral offer ?
I would really appreciate if anyone can help.
Thanks
The question is
Mary suffers from acne and has tried many skin products over the years. She sees the following advertisement in a newspaper: “Want to renew your skin? Use BeautyFull’s Skin Renewal Serum every night and you are guaranteed smooth, clear, ‘beauty-full’ skin within six months. Suitable for all skin conditions. If you don’t see results after six months, we will give you your money back. In fact, we are so confident in our product, that if you don’t see results we will pay you €5,000!”
Excited by the advertisement, Mary buys six month’s supply of the expensive Skin Renewal Serum and uses it as directed each night. However, after six months it has had no effect. When she contacts BeautyFull they refuse to pay her €5,000, saying that the advertisement was not a serious offer, and even if there was an offer, Mary did not accept it. Mary wants to know if she has a contract with BeautyFull and whether she can claim the €5,000. She also wants to know if any legislation might be of assistance to her as a consumer.
Advise Mary
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Altamashhshaikh
Hi I have to answer a problem for contract law. Just needed a bit of help.
- like what cases can I use apart from Carill v carbolic smoke ball.
And can this be considered as a sales puffery or unilateral offer ?
I would really appreciate if anyone can help.
Thanks
The question is
Mary suffers from acne and has tried many skin products over the years. She sees the following advertisement in a newspaper: “Want to renew your skin? Use BeautyFull’s Skin Renewal Serum every night and you are guaranteed smooth, clear, ‘beauty-full’ skin within six months. Suitable for all skin conditions. If you don’t see results after six months, we will give you your money back. In fact, we are so confident in our product, that if you don’t see results we will pay you €5,000!”
Excited by the advertisement, Mary buys six month’s supply of the expensive Skin Renewal Serum and uses it as directed each night. However, after six months it has had no effect. When she contacts BeautyFull they refuse to pay her €5,000, saying that the advertisement was not a serious offer, and even if there was an offer, Mary did not accept it. Mary wants to know if she has a contract with BeautyFull and whether she can claim the €5,000. She also wants to know if any legislation might be of assistance to her as a consumer.
Advise Mary

So what research and work have you done so far?
Have you read and made notes from your texbook?
Have you read any cases?
Have you watched the lecture?
Normally what you do is identify the issues.
Read the texbook to see what the law is and how it handles the situation, using cases to highlight how each issue is dealt with.
You then apply the law to the case facts and reach a conclusion. Principles are normally highlighted by cases.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
So what research and work have you done so far?
Have you read and made notes from your texbook?
Have you read any cases?
Have you watched the lecture?
Normally what you do is identify the issues.
Read the texbook to see what the law is and how it handles the situation, using cases to highlight how each issue is dealt with.
You then apply the law to the case facts and reach a conclusion. Principles are normally highlighted by cases.

Thanks for the reply man,
So this question is for legal skills module in first year and it’s more to do research and I’m attending university college Dublin. I did do research and got some legislation for this and I could only get the smoke ball case for this.
Original post by Altamashhshaikh
Thanks for the reply man,
So this question is for legal skills module in first year and it’s more to do research and I’m attending university college Dublin. I did do research and got some legislation for this and I could only get the smoke ball case for this.

Maybe read a contract law book on offer and acceptance- didnt bother reading the question, but there will be a chapter on whatever the relevant area is.
Thanks
But this will count as a unilateral offer right ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending