Amiz61
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there, wanted to know what the chances are of just getting an offer from a university with requirements of A*AA. The only reason I'm applying for this is because i believe i am one of many cases who got completely screwed over with the grades i was given and am hoping they are considerate in that regard. The university in question is Bristol for a BEng in mechanical engineering
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are those your CAGs? Did you sit the exams in October/plan to resit in may/june?
AndyChow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
not trying to sound rude but your application would go straight to the recycle bin
Last edited by AndyChow; 1 week ago
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not a hope. You'll get a immediate rejection.

Mech Eng at Bristol is highly competitive and thats why they ask for such high grades - they know they will get applicants with those grades (and above) and even with those grades, many people are still rejected.

You have two choices
1) Dont apply this year. Work your socks off for the best possible grades you can get, and if you get A*AA, apply next year.
2) Accept that you can'y apply to Bristol with BBB and find other Universities that will accept BBB.
Amiz61
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Are those your CAGs? Did you sit the exams in October/plan to resit in may/june?
Yeah they were and I sat math's in October and retaking economics and physics next summer
Amiz61
Rep:
?
(Original post by AndyChow)
not trying to sound rude but your application would go straight to the recycle bin
Dont worry on sounding rude youre telling me how it is! Yeah I had a feeling it would, its so annoying considering I know I can get what they need, I mean I got AAA in my mocks, my school just did me dirty :/
Last edited by Amiz61; 1 week ago
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Amiz61)
Yeah they were and I sat math's in October and retaking economics and physics next summer
What are your predicted grades as stated on your UCAS application?
Amiz61
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
What are your predicted grades as stated on your UCAS application?
Don't have any predicted grades
JockstrapAttack
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
don't even bother. it'll be a straight rejection, no questions asked.
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't have any predicted grades
You must have predicted grades for the exams you've resat? Did you not state on your application that you're resitting?
Amiz61
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Not a hope. You'll get a immediate rejection.

Mech Eng at Bristol is highly competitive and thats why they ask for such high grades - they know they will get applicants with those grades (and above) and even with those grades, many people are still rejected.

You have two choices
1) Dont apply this year. Work your socks off for the best possible grades you can get, and if you get A*AA, apply next year.
2) Accept that you can'y apply to Bristol with BBB and find other Universities that will accept BBB.
I'll have to look into other universities then, im just looking for an offer, im resitting next summer and i know for sure i can get what they need it just suck though. thanks for the help
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What did you get in the October exam? Have you been given predicted grades for the ones you're retaking in the summer?

If you have predictions or an academic reference attesting to the fact you can meet those grades in your resits (and evidence of it from your October exam sitting, i.e. have gotten an A*, or at least an A, in that) then it may be possible you will be considered. However the low CAG grades from last year might be an issue...you may need to prepare for the possibility of applying through clearing after you get your grades from your retakes back (or applying in the following year with A*AA achieved).

Do however check whether Bristol accept exams taken in this summer as "first sitting" grades, or if they consider any exams taken after the October session to be resits; if they do consider the summer exams resits, or expected you to take all three in one sitting (either in October or the summer session) then this may weaken your application.
Amiz61
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
You must have predicted grades for the exams you've resat? Did you not state on your application that you're resitting?
I haven't sent of my application just yet, with the application ive been told to put in the grades i was awarded and then put another section for pending grades for 2021. I only retook maths this october and as far as im aware i havent been told of any predicted grades from my school.
Amiz61
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
What did you get in the October exam? Have you been given predicted grades for the ones you're retaking in the summer?

If you have predictions or an academic reference attesting to the fact you can meet those grades in your resits (and evidence of it from your October exam sitting, i.e. have gotten an A*, or at least an A, in that) then it may be possible you will be considered. However the low CAG grades from last year might be an issue...you may need to prepare for the possibility of applying through clearing after you get your grades from your retakes back (or applying in the following year with A*AA achieved).

Do however check whether Bristol accept exams taken in this summer as "first sitting" grades, or if they consider any exams taken after the October session to be resits; if they do consider the summer exams resits, or expected you to take all three in one sitting (either in October or the summer session) then this may weaken your application.
So for the october exam i will get my results on December 17th, the problem with that is ive been told that i need to finalise and hand in my UCAS application by the end of the month, so i cant put them on my application and im not sure if i can edit the application after my results. I havent been able to put my name down to do retakes next year since my school have said they will get back to me in the near future for that. I think because of that i havent been given any predicted grades as far as i am aware of.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So for the october exam i will get my results on December 17th, the problem with that is ive been told that i need to finalise and hand in my UCAS application by the end of the month, so i cant put them on my application and im not sure if i can edit the application after my results. I havent been able to put my name down to do retakes next year since my school have said they will get back to me in the near future for that. I think because of that i havent been given any predicted grades as far as i am aware of.
Although I believe any exam results should be updated and sent through to unis as they come in, knowing what the October result is before applying I think would be better so you can avoid potentially applying to courses you wont' be considered for, for example. Also if you don't have any predicted grades for the summer exams the only evidence the unis will have that you might perform better than your CAGs is how you do in the October exam. You should just wait until after you get that result, which gives you plenty of time to submit before the January 15th deadline.

Why is your school not permitting you to sit the exams? Why are they pressuring you to apply blind to a university choice which you may or may not have any chance of being considered by? Are they going to give you predicted grades, or just railroad you into making applications without any support before you need or should submit them? Your school seems questionable, to put it diplomatically.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just send your application for a reference without all your choices added (only put in 2/3) and ask your school to send it back to you once your reference is added so you can add your final choices once you have your results in December.

Or submit your application with just a couple or choices and add the rest in December/January when you have your maths results.

You can request a copy of your whole application (including reference and predictions) from ucas once it’s submitted. If your school are being secretive then this is worthwhile.

I would say it’s worth an application to Bristol if you’re sitting the exams and have the potential to meet the standard offer. They’re more likely to be flexible over 2020 achieved grades. But they’re far more likely to be convinced of your potential (and out of character low CAGs) if you apply with your October exam results in hand demonstrated a big improvement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.3%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.44%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (83)
19.58%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.43%
No - I live at home during term anyway (124)
29.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed