Orb_it
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm studying at GCSE Level, but want to progress into a military career when I leave school. An RAF Recruitment Officer told me that basic A-Levels are needed to Commision, does that hold any truth?

Ontop of this, the two roles I'm most interested in are Human Intelligence and something along the lines of a Forward Air Controller. What are the actual job names for these in the RAF, and what is needed to go into these two roles.

Finally, would joining something such as the Air Cadets give me a better advantage in a later career pertaining to the Armed Forces?
AscendingWings
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Orb_it)
I'm studying at GCSE Level, but want to progress into a military career when I leave school. An RAF Recruitment Officer told me that basic A-Levels are needed to Commision, does that hold any truth?

Ontop of this, the two roles I'm most interested in are Human Intelligence and something along the lines of a Forward Air Controller. What are the actual job names for these in the RAF, and what is needed to go into these two roles.

Finally, would joining something such as the Air Cadets give me a better advantage in a later career pertaining to the Armed Forces?
All education requirements are outlined on the RAF website.

All roles are available for you to search online.

RAF Air Cadets doesn't give you an advantage, it will provide you with an understanding but it won't set you apart from someone who hasn't done cadets but has done their research. But if you're thinking about joining, you don't have anything to loose so I'd go for it. It'll give you something else to talk about.
KeiranP
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should take a look at the RAF careers website. Lots of information on there about which roles are available and what education qualifications you need for each.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Orb_it)

Minimum requirements are available online. Making yourself more competitive, however...

FAC is undertaken by some roles in the RAF, but it's a little limited. The nearest would be Regiment officer. But if you want to do that, you'd be better off in the Army.
Intelligence should be easy enough to work out... Though, again, the RAF doesn't deal with HUMINT as much as other branches of the armed forces does.

It's either/or with these. Not both.

Define advantage?
It would at least give you an insight to a forces life, and help you work out if the life suits you.
Last edited by Drewski; 1 month ago
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why would you not believe what you were told by an RAF Recruiter, and ask a bunch of random strangers online about the qualifications for a commission? Always go to the official sources first, like the AFCO and RAR Recruitment website.

You don't need to join Cadets in particular, but you do need to be doing extracurricular activities. You need to show leadership potential by having positions involving responsibility, and involvement in activities for a sustained period of time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (219)
55.87%
I don't have everything I need (173)
44.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise