What to do during medical school to improve speciality training application?

Watch
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm currently a first-year medical student in the UK. I know this might be a bit early to be worrying about speciality training, but I just wanted to get an idea of what I should be doing during medical school to improve my application (and when I should start doing it).

I know a lot of people do research and lead societies but that's all I know really...

If anyone could give me a few tips?

(I haven't got one specific speciality in mind yet so generic advice or advice for any specialty would be appreciated. I am interested in O&G though.)

Update: For any other people reading this thread, I'll save any good links I find here:
https://www.bmj.com/content/352/bmj.i1392
Last edited by bfm.mcdermott; 1 month ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bfm.mcdermott)
...I know a lot of people do research and lead societies but that's all I know really...
That's good enough.

Prizes - societies - publications - presentations. All this will come from good networking with the consultants / registrars so make sure you get to know them early.

But all these would be useless if you sacrifice your medical studies, so concentrate of that first and foremost.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm currently a first-year medical student in the UK. I know this might be a bit early to be worrying about speciality training, but I just wanted to get an idea of what I should be doing during medical school to improve my application (and when I should start doing it).

I know a lot of people do research and lead societies but that's all I know really...

(I haven't got one specific speciality in mind yet so generic advice or advice for any specialty would be appreciated. I am interested in O&G though.)

Update: For any other people reading this thread, I'll save any good links I find here:
You're right - it is very early!

If you were really keen I'd just read through some of the selection criteria - FPAS, IMT, CST, O&G. Get an idea of what scores points, and what does not. Then for the super keenos yes you can get presentations and publications - main thing you need to do is just ask for them. Ask supervisors, or just approach lecturers. Worst they can say is no. I bet lots won't though - you are offering free labour after all. You could write a review article, you could do a lab project in the summer, you could collect and analyse clinical data - lots of options

Things like audits and teaching are a lot easier to get involved with further on in med school.

But you don't need to start this early. I was told in med school that if you wanted to do neurosurgery you needed to have decided and started working on the CV by 4th year. But that was only neurosurgery, everything else was fair game, and honestly with the culture of taking multiple years out of training now, I don't think that's true of neurosurgery either any more. It just might take longer.
Last edited by nexttime; 1 month ago
Hudl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

You sound like me when I started medical school then I was told to relax by everyone. Relaxed too much, had the time of my life, scraped medical school didn't do anything and now here I am at F1 with that same focus
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (294)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.21%

Watched Threads