KaziMahathir
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Can a reaction be classed as 'feasible' or 'spontaneous' if its activation energy has not been met?
Samira Miah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, I don't think so.
KaziMahathir
Rep:
?
(Original post by Samira Miah)
No, I don't think so.
But the equation for Gibb's free energy does not consider kinetic stability of a system. This means that the value for Gibb's free energy can fall below zero, thus be thermodynamically 'feasible' even if the activation energy for the reaction is not met. In this case, the reaction wouldn't proceed / be infinitesimally slow (as activation energy has not been met by all reactant particles), even though the system's thermodynamics are all good to go (i.e. the reaction is technically 'feasible'), no?
Last edited by KaziMahathir; 1 week ago
Samira Miah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by KaziMahathir)
But the equation for Gibb's free energy does not consider kinetic stability of a system. This means that the value for Gibb's free energy can fall below zero, thus be thermodynamically 'feasible' even if the activation energy for the reaction is not met. In this case, the reaction wouldn't proceed / be infinitesimally slow (as activation energy has not been met by all reactant particles), even though the system's thermodynamics are all good to go (i.e. the reaction is technically 'feasible'), no?
That actually makes sense! But I don't think 'feasible' is the right word as the activation energy is not easily being met (Is it, i'm confusing myself lol)?
KaziMahathir
Rep:
?
(Original post by Samira Miah)
That actually makes sense! But I don't think 'feasible' is the right word as the activation energy is not easily being met (Is it, i'm confusing myself lol)?
Honestly, the word 'feasible' has confused me so much but I kinda get it now. I just had to forget what 'feasible' usually means in the English language.
Samira Miah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by KaziMahathir)
Honestly, the word 'feasible' has confused me so much but I kinda get it now. I just had to forget what 'feasible' usually means in the English language.
Hahaha that's what got me too, the logic was correct but that word was just messing the whole thing up! xD
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (130)
28.51%
No - I have already returned home (62)
13.6%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (89)
19.52%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (42)
9.21%
No - I live at home during term anyway (133)
29.17%

Watched Threads