ALEVEL CHEM difficult electrostatic forces question

Watch
lane_in_pain
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
What is the difference between electrostatic and magnetic forces?

I am an Alevel chemistry student and I know that this might also be a physics question, so I'm going to post this on both forums so that I can see the answer from different perspectives

thank you very much for reading :0:)
sym1105
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by lane_in_pain)
What is the difference between electrostatic and magnetic forces?

I am an Alevel chemistry student and I know that this might also be a physics question, so I'm going to post this on both forums so that I can see the answer from different perspectives

thank you very much for reading :0:)
Electromagnetic forces happen between charged particles i.e. ions.
Magnetic forces happen between positive and negative objects.
The difference is that electromagnetic happens in everything that is charged whether it is moving or not, but magnetic forces only happen between moving objects. Everything has a electromagnetic force, but not all things have a magnetic force e.g. humans. Hope that helps!
lane_in_pain
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Samira Miah)
Electromagnetic forces happen between charged particles i.e. ions.
Magnetic forces happen between positive and negative objects.
The difference is that electromagnetic happens in everything that is charged whether it is moving or not, but magnetic forces only happen between moving objects. Everything has a electromagnetic force, but not all things have a magnetic force e.g. humans. Hope that helps!
Thanks for your input- for my other questions also I wasn’t as confident in my knowledge as you are at GCSE so I applaud you for that hehe and I hope you do really well!! I do unfortunately still have some issues with that concept and will ask my teacher so don't worry (both magnetic forces and electromagnetic forces occur between charged particles, even though I'm aware that magnetic forces are due to movement I still don't fully understand how they can be distinguished so easily) have a nice evening!!
sym1105
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by lane_in_pain)
Thanks for your input- for my other questions also I wasn’t as confident in my knowledge as you are at GCSE so I applaud you for that hehe and I hope you do really well!! I do unfortunately still have some issues with that concept and will ask my teacher so don't worry (both magnetic forces and electromagnetic forces occur between charged particles, even though I'm aware that magnetic forces are due to movement I still don't fully understand how they can be distinguished so easily) have a nice evening!!
Aww thank youuuu!! You too and you're welcome !!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (17)
16.83%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (29)
28.71%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (10)
9.9%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (11)
10.89%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (5)
4.95%
I think it's an unfair expectation (27)
26.73%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.98%

Watched Threads